Off and On with Ms. Oma

Fresh falling and rapidly accumulating snow on Monday and Wednesday caused me to abandon Oma for the L train. I simply don’t like riding in fresh snowy conditions for safety reasons. Smushed and standing up on the train, I was not a happy camper, but I’m grateful to have a public transportation option that takes me door-to-door from home to office.

On Tuesday, Thursday and Friday (looking ahead a bit), I stayed with my love, Ms. Oma. Not surprisingly, I had more energy on those mornings.

Hey, why is it – as Yehuda Moon astutely notes – that people always ask if you rode on the rare days you don’t ride?

Tagged , , , , ,

17 thoughts on “Off and On with Ms. Oma

1. Anne says:

Heh. They ask on the most challenging days! They are trying to have a “gotcha” moment. I’m sure of it.

Oma is so pretty. I hope my next bike will be as pretty as that.

2. Kenny says:

A fine demonstration of Oma’s reflective tyres.

I get the same question from time to time.

Once, it was particularly nasty outside, all manner of things falling from the heavens when the question came straight for me, there was no dodging it.

I said yes, I’m cycling in this weather :)
    I wasn’t but they would never know :)

3. I don’t like being squished on trains either. Interestingly, I find Vienna’s public transportation much more pleasant and easy to use than Boston’s, though the squishing still goes on.

4. Vee says:

Oh comments are back for me!!!!

we’ve had monsoon rain for a few days and I was at the whole Foods ( I think that is the only place I go to!) and the I was chatting with the cashier about the crazy rain. He says ” did you BIKE???” I said ” um no. no I didn’t” ALthough I did the same thing to a preschool mom who runs all the time to school. she walked in soaking wet with a poncho on and I said ” Did you run here?” to which she answered ” No. I’m not that crazy” . I responded ” Yeah- it’s just that wet”. for some it’s a gotcha moment. For some it’s a just curious. I like that even the whole foods cashier knows my routine though.

5. Yeah! Comments are back! Thanks for fixing the issue, Trisha!

6. eli says:

i just wanted to tell you ladies that reading your blog has inspired me to get back on my bike! i live in lexington, ky, and we’ve had some pretty crummy weather conditions this winter too. snow and ice replaced by more snow and ice. gahh.
    in the past, i’ve generally only ridden when it’s nice out or just for pleasure, but seeing what y’all are willing to ride in (weather-wise) has made me totally re-think my transportation lifestyle.

so anyway, starting last weekend, i’ve been biking to work and school and it’s been amazing. cold at first, yes, but totally exhilarating too. it really helped me to wake up and i had so much energy all day! then early yesterday morning, we got dumped with another three inches of snow and i chose not to ride in it. i was sluggish and unfocused all day, and had a big headache all last night. it’s amazing how your body can change in such a short time :)

right now, i’m riding an old schwinn ladies road bike hand-me-down. i’ve had it most of my adult life, and even though it’s a ladies frame, his name is Herman B. Wells. it’s reliable, trusty steed, if not as pretty as your bikes.

here’s a link to a picture of Herman and me, along with my boyfriend Nick and his unnamed bike. we were doing a “bike prom” themed alleycat race :) http://www.flickr.com/photos/cricketcam2000/2835919935/in/set-72157607159864136/

anyway. just wanted to say hi as a new reader, and tell you how much i’ve loved reading the blog! cheers and happy biking!

7. kristin says:

i love the bike prom! and lexington looks just beautiful.

8. Nicholas says:

Thanks for writing this blog…as a new reader, this blog, among a few others, has pushed me to ride to work the rest of the year, as much as possible. This includes taking my 3 yr old to school and then to work, so logistically a bit more complicated than just a commute to work and back. I’m in Cincinnati, and I’m waiting for my fenders to come in, so I can install them. I will be riding immediately after installation (it’s still rather slushy and wet around here).

Thanks again and keep the posts coming…they’re keeping me motivated.

9. @Anne, you’re exactly right about everyone wanting to “catch” you, but catch you at what, you know? Following every such tedious and banal exchange, I envision a situation not unlike the one featured in this Yehuda Moon strip.

10. Nick says:

Thanks for sharing your experiences and pictures. Keep on biking and blogging.

11. Giffen says:

Well, I’ve cycled everyday for the 3 months, with the exception of 2 days when I was sick. So, I don’t really need an answer. :)

12. Zweiradler says:

Hey, I’m finally back on my bike again. We’ve had several weeks of snow, but now it’s back to normal (which means rain). :)

Nico

13. Dottie says:

@eli – Awesome picture! That’s quite an attractive little blue bike you’ve got there. Thanks so much for sharing with us! We love to hear about how people decide to begin bike commuting. It’s great that you started despite the winter weather. I hope you stick around and keep us updated.

14. Dottie says:

@Nicholas – Welcome! It’s so inspiring for me to hear that we are inspiring others to ride every day – real live people like you :) Plus, you’re doing it with a kid. Go you! Good luck with your fenders. If you have any problems, ask Trisha, the resident fender expert.

15. Dottie says:

@Vee – So glad you can comment again. It’s not the same without you. Pretty funny that the cashier knows that you always bike. When you put it that way, it’s good that people ask us.

16. Dottie says:

@Giffen – Cool! So you are probably just waiting for people to ask you the question.

17. Dottie says:

@the village scribe – Ha! I hadn’t seen that Yehuda before.