Sunshine on my shoulders makes me happy…

Today I’ve been singing forlornly, “Sunshine on my shoulders makes me happy…” The grim gray skies try to beat it out of me, but John Denver prevails.

The lyrics and mood reminded me of this post from last year.  I remember I felt like I would never, ever be warm again.  Looking back, the date surprised me – January 13, 2009.  I got beat down much earlier last winter.

Now I feel better about my cold weather despondence. I made it all the way to late February before slumping, and spring will be here in a few weeks (knocking on wood). If I could get this type of sun on my shoulders soon, that would be great!

Am I setting myself up for heartbreak by dreaming so early? How are you getting along: wishing for spring or appreciating life in the moment?

Tagged , , , ,

12 thoughts on “Sunshine on my shoulders makes me happy…

1. Wild Bill says:

I just got back from LA, where it was 65 F with clear blue skies. I’m looking forward to a little bit of that in Chicago now.

2. Cherilyn says:

The days are longer, and that makes all the difference in the world! I can’t wait for clear streets so I can start biking, though. It’s been a cold week here in SW Montana.

On the flip side, I did get out for a glorious, short run in the cold and snow yesterday. It felt great just to defy the weather and do something I didn’t think I could.

3. anon says:

Dottie,

I’m in Chicago and considering buying a Rivendell. Did you build up Betty yourself or get it built up somewhere?

4. tinker says:

Given that it is snowing here in South Central Texas, as we speak?/type?/read?, I have to give you a pass on the “beat down by winter” this year. It’s a little long, but I’m resisting longing for summer, since I know it will last into November this year anyway.

5. Amy says:

I’m hopeful too. I think the hardest part is walking by all the store windows downtown and seeing all their amazing spring clothes. When they start putting them out in January, it makes it that much harder to face the reality.

6. E A says:

both – enjoying the moment and the fact that this winter has been milder here than in recent history (because you folks south of us have been getting the snow!)… and yet I long for spring and enjoyable long sunny rides (without the frost bite). ;-) Hang in there…

7. Margo says:

I know I’m in the minority, but I love winter. We’ve only had one decent snow here in Boston, and I’m dying to get one last one in before spring comes. I am so well prepared with boots! I want to use them! And make a snowman!

It is true, though, that it would be nice to ride a bike without my eyes tearing up and my nose dripping…

8. amy says:

i have never liked winter. but i realized if i just wished it away, i’d be wishing half my life away. so, i do make the best of it. but after New Years day it takes more effort. i hope we get an earlier spring than last year. last year i took my son sledding in early april! ahhh!

but yes, i’m longing for the sun too… : )

9. Sigrid says:

I really struggle with cold and winter. I simply do not enjoy it. I like to think I did better this season, but now that I think about it I had my first major crack in December. Maybe I’m not doing as well as I thought. But I recovered and here we are – just a few days away from March!

10. Dottie says:

@Margo – I like winter, but I have a limit :) Nose-dripping has been much less of a problem for me this year. I think not using a scarf has helped, oddly.

@amy – good point about wishing half of life away. Too much winter in Chicago to not enjoy it at all.

@Sigrid – Yes, it’s amazing to me that Monday is the beginning of March!

@EA – We need to plan a trip to the Botanical Gardens when it’s warm enough to avoid frost bite.

@Amy – All the spring clothes are so pretty. My biggest frustration with that is lack of funds, but also the cold.

@Tinker – Seems like no one can avoid the snow this winter!

@Cherilyn – That’s so true about the longer days. As much as I’m complaining, it’s so nice now that the sun is still kinda around for my commute home at the end of the day.

@Wild Bill – I’m surprised you returned to Chicago at all from L.A. :)

11. Courage and perseverance! Spring is just around the corner!

12. Dottie says:

@anon – I ordered my Betty Foy directly from Rivendell with all the essential parts and took it to Roscoe Village Bikes for the final assembly. RVB also put on my Honjo fenders and Nitto rack, which I ordered separately. Feel free to ask any more questions you have!