Bikes + Women = Film

Over the weekend, Jezebel posted about Women of Dirt, a new documentary about women who participate in the sport of Gravity Mountain Biking. In a word, it looks amazing. Though this is miles away from the type of riding we usually feature here, I think we can all agree with the statement at the end of the trailer: “Nothing will ever replace my bike.”

Seriously, watch the trailer and tell me you aren’t a little tempted to give off-road biking a try. I dare you.

According to the site, the film will be shown a few times in Seattle — it’s also available on DVD. Anyone seen it? Is there another film or documentary about cycling that you’d recommend (and yes, I’ve heard of Breaking Away)?

Tagged ,

11 thoughts on “Bikes + Women = Film

1. E A says:

Just found out about this event in Chicago: – in particular the film JOUR DE FÊTE – about a postman who delivers mails by bike!.

2. Trisha says:

@E A – Oh! I would love to see MON ONCLE on the big screen! Thanks for the tip.

3. Okay, okay, I am tempted. But I’d like a Rivendell Bombadil please.

4. I DO want to try it!!! :D

5. Ann says:

I take my hat off to them. At my age I wouldn’t do that type of off road riding. That said, I retired to a national forest and ride unimproved forest roads and do a bit of “slow,” safe-pace off road riding. What scares me is the decent down mountains on bumpy, boulder-sized gravel-strewn forest roads. But I won’t give up exploring the forest by bike. It’s incredible.

6. Randy says:

Klunkerz a documentary on the history of mountain biking

Joe Kid & A Stingray a documentary on the history of BMX

I’ve purchased and enjoyed both of these.

As for Movies I’ve only seen Quicksilver & Pee Wee’s Big Adventure.

List of bicycle related movies

7. James Muttera says:

Another good bicycle short film is: “Share the road tales from a band of gypsy bikers”

8. Doug says:

Here’s a new documentary on fatbike riding in Alaska. I bought a copy. bike trailer.html

9. Xtra says:

Nothing will ever replace my bike. That’s awesome.