A Gray Day for Betty

Lest you all (or at least my Gram) worry that I’m freezing, the weather here is milder than last week. Yesterday was an odd day, more like fall than winter, with misty rains and high 30’s F temperatures.

I pulled out Betty Foy for the occasion. She is not getting studded tires for the winter, so will come out and play only on the days when it’s not icy. I enjoyed her carefree riding, but during the evening commute the battery-powered front light got weak and I worried about my visibility in the dark. That’s why I prefer generator lights.

I was warm enough wearing just a raincoat over my tweed suit. Mr. Dottie wore rain paints and still got wet, while my tights dried within minutes.

The rest of the week is supposed to be sunny in the 20’s. I almost look forward to the clear, freezing, snowy days for more interesting travelogues :)

Tagged , , , , ,

28 thoughts on “A Gray Day for Betty

1. E A says:

Glad to see you enjoyed the drizzly commute. I like the b&w pics. :-)

2. darren says:

hi! first time poster on your blog.
    just to let you know that i’ve been enjoying all the wonderful pictures you’ve been posting… and all the wonderful stories. you’re an inspiration!
    keep up the great work!

3. dukiebiddle says:

In the 30’s and drizzling. Yuck. You just described 80% of my impending winter

4. Johnny says:

Yeah, I wish we had more snow and less rain in Baltimore in the winter. Drivers get upset, but I don’t really mind that.

5. it’s been weirdly warm here, too! i barely needed a hat the other day.
    i am with you on tights–they often feel warmer than jeans, which get colder than tights when they are close to my skin.
    generator lights, eh? must look into.

• Scott says:

I love the generator light. You never need to worry about replacing batteries. I leave my headlight on most of the time in the winter, even during the day when it is cloudy.

6. Do they salt the roads in Chicago during the winter season? And if they do salt, do you do anything special to clean Betty after taking her out?

I could not agree more about tights. Jeans soak up humidity and moisture and can feel like a heavy, icy rag wrapped around the legs. Tights dry in minutes even if they get soaked. I just stocked up on wool tights at the J. Crew outlet and am looking forward to wearing them on my rides.

• Scott says:

That sounds wise. I find that materials like cotton or acrylic get soaking wet and turn into a soggy freezing mess. That’s why I stick with wool. I really like the icebreaker leggings for this reason.

• dottie says:

The roads are heavily salted in Chicago. This is my first winter with Betty, so I’m not sure how I’ll do it. I won’t be riding her much and I should wipe her down with a cloth afterward. The salt hasn’t been a problem with Oma.

7. sara says:

The top photo needs to be submitted somewhere. Gorgeous.

8. welshcyclist says:

I envy you your commutes of the last day or so, I’ve been unable to ride my bike since Sunday, because of various commitments, and am feeling really down as a result. More power to you though, good luck.

9. Emma J says:

Inspired (at any rate, deprived of valid excuses) by your biking in the snow stories I biked my trip into town today -rain rain rain – but exhiliration! Thanks for the enthusiastic example!

10. really beautiful photo’s

11. maria says:

Lovely. It was pretty mild here too, but now it’s freezing again.

12. dottie says:

So much for the forecast: my ride last night was 10 degrees and I’m about to head out this morning in 7 degrees.

• Scott says:

Dottie, I tried Manzella gloves that I got on sale at Uncle Dan’s today for the first time. They come in three types: warm, warmer, and warmest. I had the warmest and my fingers were fine with no liner.

13. grambev says:

I like the black and white photos! :)

14. Catherine says:

I was just in your general area (South Bend, IN—that’s “generallay your area” to me!) and thought about you on your bike in that weather (I’m thinking specifically Tuesday–SO cold!)

15. Christa says:

Love the first photo

16. nuliajuk says:

Do those of you that use generators burn out a lot of bulbs? Or are the lights attached to them all LED now? I had generators years ago and that was the most frustrating aspect of them, constantly burning out bulbs and having to carry at least three spares.

17. Catherine says:

Oh, another question….do you find the cold affects your light? I have a generator light on the Amsterdam that doesn’t seem to work when it’s cold out. There should be no reason for this (laws of physics-wise) but it’s something that I’ve noticed and that is REALLY bothering me. What brand of light/generator do you have? I think I need to make a switch stat!

• Dwayne says:

Actually, I believe that cold temperatures increase electrical resistance in metals. I don’t know whether it would be enough to notice in terms of brightness of a small lightbulb. It may be possible; the generator isn’t producing a lot of current.