Beautiful Bicycles: Velorbis Studine

Today I met a new beauty in town, the Velorbis Studine at Copenhagen Cyclery, a “younger” and more affordable version of the Velorbis Classic bikes (which I reviewed here). The differences are subtle – fewer gears, painted rims and no lights or leather grips.

Designed in Denmark and handmade in Germany, these stylish steel bikes are chic and cheeky at once. The Studine aka Student comes in three colors (red, green, black) and four sizes (51 and 56 cm for step-through, 54 and 59 cm for diamond frame). If cream-colored Schwalbe tires are not luscious enough, these ones are coupled with powder-coated rims to match the frames. The classy and comfortable Brooks B67 sprung saddle tops the design off perfectly.

A three-speed Sturmey Archer hub makes changing gears easy, even when the bike is stopped. The internal hub combined with the Sturmey Archer drum brakes (protected from the elements), fenders and chainguard makes the Studine an all-weather, every day bike. The Studine can carry a fair amount of cargo, with a sturdy integrated rear rack and handlebars that beg for a wicker basket.

As with the other Velorbis city bikes, the Studine is lighter and more nimble than bikes like the Workcycles Azor, Gazelle or Batavus. The seating position is directly upright – I almost felt like I was standing up while on the saddle pedaling. This contrasts with both my Dutch bike, on which I lean back a bit, and my mixte, on which I lean forward.

The Studine also comes in a diamond frame, like the one below. The hunter green goes well with brown canvas and leather.

The beauty of the Velorbis Studine really shines when paired with its price tag: $1,295. The price is competitive for this type of city bike. The closest bicycles in terms of style, quality and price I know of are the Pashley Princess Classic and the ANT Boston Roadster (a higher price but very high quality and made in the U.S.). What type of bicycle one ends up liking the most is pure personal preference, so I always suggest that people shop around and try out as many different bikes as possible.

While I prefer my Workcycles Azor Oma for workhorse daily use, I certainly can imagine myself riding away on this fiery beauty.  Sometimes I feel like a bright red bicycle is the one thing missing from my life :)

Tagged , , , , , , , ,

48 thoughts on “Beautiful Bicycles: Velorbis Studine

1. maria says:

Oh, my!! These bikes are works of art!! The red one is just the sort of bike I dream about!!

2. Karen says:

A red bike is life changing.

3. Jeff says:

I was just admiring the green studen yesterday…

4. The styling on that bicycle is pretty sweet and you look great riding it! I especially love Velorbis’s rear rack design, so nice.

It seems that the angle of the seat tube is even steeper than on my Pashley though. I am not sure why they would do that on a relaxed city bike – The leaned-back seat tube makes for a more comfortable ride.

• Giffen says:

Steep seat tubes are like a disease!!! And seemingly they have infected the entire industry. I just don’t understand it. :(

• dottie says:

I enjoyed the steep tube angle because I felt like a dainty bird perched atop a beautiful branch – chirp chirp chirp. (Rarely do I feel dainty.) This is the almost-like-standing-up feeling I referred to above. Granted, I have no idea how it would feel after several miles – the weakness of having only a meeting with Ms. Studine. I did wonder how much more my legs would have to work in this position, with no handlebars to lean over to support my upper body.

(I would definitely push back and point up the saddle.)

5. Tom says:

What a great looking bike! The riser handlebars are an usual shape, but it works. Someone should tell that bike shop that the panniers on the green bike are backwards though.

6. Fun! When I looked at the Velorbis website the woman modeling the bikes looks so unbelievably awkward to me — so it’s nice to see you on the bike to get a better idea of how it might look being ridden by a (stylish) normal person.

I agree with Lovely Bicycle about the seat tube angle. Wow! I can see why you felt like you were standing up! That standing thing kind of reminds me of the posture some people end up with when they get an extra long stem and raise their handlebars on their comfort bikes or MTBs. Lots of people around here (NYC) seem to be doing that now but they don’t look very comfortable to me. Did you feel stable?

• dottie says:

I can’t stand a bike with way too much seat post exposed – it is almost raunchy. Ha. Maybe that’s just me. I felt perfectly stable on the Velorbis.

7. Zweiradler says:

I don’t know if this seating position is a good idea. Your description reminded me of this: http://preview.tinyurl.com/y9doxwj

Nico

8. philippe says:

Velorbis are beautiful bikes, but I don’t understand their love affair with sturmey archer. Fit this bike with a nexus 8 please ! And add a real closed chaincase.

And where’s the dynohub ?!

I’d love to love that one, but it’s actualy rather dispointing, IMO, for 1200+$.

(Oh, the basil panniers on the green diamond frame should face the other way…)

• dottie says:

The dynohub was left off to keep the price down. The more expensive Velorbis bikes have them. I also prefer Shimano, but Pashley uses Sturmey Archer, too, so there must be something to ‘em.

• dukiebiddle says:

“Oh, the basil panniers on the green diamond frame should face the other way…” Ha! Good catch.

As for the desire for a Nexus 8 and dynamo hub for around $1200, I think they’d have to make the frame out of aluminum or balsa wood to bring the price down to that neighborhood.

• somervillain says:

agreed on the chaincase. there was an importer of velorbis here in massachusetts, but he quickly learned that full chaincases are despised by most american bike shops for the ordeal they create when doing simple repairs such as replacing a punctured tube. given that, he started having velorbis spec their US-bound bikes with the “simpler” one-sided chain guards. i’ve also notices that most other US importers of dutch/european bikes have done the same. it’s hard to find a new dutch bike in the US with a genuine *full* chaincase. shame, really. i’ve found that the two-piece plastic chaincases such as on my 1980s union are actually quite simple to take on and off compared to the vinyl or all-steel ones.

• dukiebiddle says:

From the web page, it appears that none of the Velorbis bicycle have an enclosed chaincase. I’m not sure that I would ever want to deal with a closed chaincase, at least the complicated vinyl or all-steel ones.

• Jeff says:

The first person who rides it will catch the pannier problem – literally, with their heels…

9. sigrid says:

swoon….♡♡♡

10. Liset says:

I love the red bike! Gorgeous! Although the sadle looks kind of uncomfortable :p

11. bongobike says:

Stunning bike! And yeah, how could that bike shop put those panniers on that bike backwards?!

12. E A says:

a red bike!

I love it!

santa… hint hint. ;-)

13. Anne says:

what an absolutely gorgeous bike. it is way too expensive for a real struggling college student however. =[

• dottie says:

Something to aspire to ;) I was about to say that I never could have afforded my current bikes as a college student, either. But then I remembered that I bought a used Saturn for $7,000 when I was in college. Yipes – add on insurance and gas and that was such a bad idea, especially since I usually took the free bus. (Of course, there was a payment plan.)

14. what a gorgeous bike!! though i’m not sure i like the painted rims…the green is pretty gorgeous.

15. That’s a gorgeous bike (both of them, actually). I wish it was easier to get the great European bikes down here in Texas, though I do love my Breezer Uptown 8.

• dottie says:

All the Euro bike shops I know would be happy to deliver, although I know it’s hard to buy a bike without a test ride first.

Breezers are great bikes!

16. anna says:

Lovely headbadge!!! I’m certainly into color coordination too :). However, the saddle position looks a bit weird.

17. donna says:

Electra bikes have a new model out too called the Ticino which is really styling imo. I’d love to know what you think of it.

18. ms. elle says:

OMG! Salivating over that bike! Hot! Hot! Hot!

19. alice says:

Oh wow! It is a beaut!

20. sara says:

I love red shoes. Whenever I wear red shoes, I maintain that I can never be in a bad mood. I think this would extend to riding that gorgeous red bicycle…

21. Doohickie says:

That’s a little too much red all at once.

Looks okay in the green though.

22. […] with the Velorbis Studine, the Mobii’s seat tube angle is steep compared to a bike like the Workcycles Bakfiets. This […]

23. […] with the Velorbis Studine, the Mobii’s seat tube angle is steep compared to a bike like the Workcycles Bakfiets. This […]

24. Christa says:

Beautiful! My local dutch bike shop doesn’t carry Velobris. I want to test one!

25. Now that Ashley has her Velorbis in the garage, what do you prefer about Oma over a comparable Velorbis? Since I spent a short time on both a Velorbis Scrap and a Opa while in Chicago with you, I developed an opinion about each. I’m curious to know what you like and dislike about each one and how you contrast them.

26. Flowers says:

This is a best bike

flowers

27. That is one hot ride! I really want a bike and am looking around- so happy you gals exist!

28. francoe says:

How can somebody make such beauty and put a saddle in that fcking wrong way?

29. […] with the Velorbis Studine, the Mobii’s seat tube angle is steep compared to a bike like the Workcycles Bakfiets. This […]