Aloha on Wheels

Once upon a time, there was a snazzy blue TopShop cruiser being offered as a contest prize by Chictopia.

The equally stylish Dottie won it by entering this beautiful picture.

Dottie in her winning outfit, with Betty Foy

But alas, the cruiser was pining for the ocean and Dottie’s garage space was limited. Enter aloha.

One thing I’ve learned since acquiring Hawaiian family members (highly recommended, by the way) is that this word means more than hello or goodbye — it’s a generous, friendly spirit. Dottie said aloha to the cruiser . . . and one FedEx trip later it was saying aloha to my aunt Kathy, who lives just outside Honolulu and had been shopping for a beach cruiser.

It is a perfect match, since both Kathy and the bike have links to the UK (Kath’s alma mater is in Scotland) but consider the beach their native habitat. They are now happily cruising around Oahu together. She sent the picture to prove it.

In Hawaii they trade heels for flip flops (aka "slippers")

I love a happy ending, don’t you?

Tagged , , , ,

19 thoughts on “Aloha on Wheels

1. That’s a great story!
    What an appropriate home for the bike and your aunt looks very pleased!

2. Jennie says:

Oh – Your Aunt Kathy looks great! How thoughtful of Dottie!

3. academichic says:

what a great story! :)

Aunt Kathy does look great, her and the cruiser were made for each other.

And I love that shot of you that won the bike, it’s beautiful. Where did you find those gorgeous butterfly tights? I’m in love! S.

• dottie says:

The butterfly tights are by Betsy Johnson. I bought them at Macy’s last spring. They get so much attention, I should have bought two in case these ever run.

p.s. Trisha is the post author here. I know it gets confusing :)

4. this is awesome. you are a sweetheart, dottie!

5. Charlotte says:

That is a perfect story, I wondered how the cruiser would do on the mean streets of Chicago, it was meant to be in Hawaii – PERFECT!

6. Kara says:

I am originally from Hawaii, and just seeing that picture made me instantly homesick. I am so glad that the bike has found a great home in one of the best places on earth. Aloha!

PS – Love that she bikes in “da rubbah slippahs.”

7. Mamavee says:

perfect and how did I not know YOU won it. I love that someone I “know” won it.

8. Kathy says:

Aloha!
    Just wanted to let everyone know that my bike and I have been doing a lot of cruising thanks to Dottie and Trisha!! Slippers are the footwear of choice as Kara knows but we do have dressy slippers and casual so they work for all occassions!! Thanks again guys, its nice to know that the Aloha Spirit is alive and well!!
    Kathy

9. sara says:

I’m with Mamavee– How is it that I knew about the contest and even voted but never heard that you had won?! How cool. Aunt Kathy & the blue cruiser look like a great team. Rock on.

10. G.E. says:

Awww… that was such a nice thing to do, and the bike (as it appears) is getting some good use. It’s always nice to see a bike getting used, rather than sitting in the rain or stuffed in a garage somewhere. :o)

11. dottie says:

Kathy, you and the bike look fabulous together! Ms. Cruiser doesn’t even realize how lucky she is to escape her cold Chicago fate. I fully intend to take you up on your generous Hawaii offer one day. You know, to check on Ms. Cruiser, all business ;)

Lovely story-telling, Trish.

12. maria says:

Oh, it’s perfect for Hawaii!! I would so love a cruiser like that, preferably vintage!!

13. Andrew Duthie says:

Bikes are funny that way. I’ve got an Electra Townie that told me (long after the test ride) that hills were no fun, and that somewhere flat would be better. The Townie will be taking a trip to New Orleans in a couple months and staying with friends, on a permanent basis.

14. Christa says:

You’re so sweet to send the bike to her.

Beautiful shot!