Chicago’s Christkindlmarket

This weekend we took advantage of the unseasonably warm weather (~50 degrees F) and cycled along the lakefront to the Christkindlmarket downtown.

I love being able to take off my helmet when I get on the Lakefront Trail with Oma. The wind in my hair feels so good.

Helmet off, hair loose

Chicago’s Christkindlmarket claims to be the only authentic Christkindlmarket outside of Europe. I’m not sure about the “only” claim, but it looks “authentic,” based on pictures of a Christkindlmarket in Salzburg via Academichic.

We spent most of the time standing in line for potato pancakes, cheese fritters, hot chocolate and Bavarian gingerbread – yum!  We’ll have to go back sometime for mulled wine in a ceramic boot.

Gingerbread bakery

Roasted Nuts

German Ornaments

Nativity

Crowded Plaza

City Christmas Tree

And elsewhere in the city…

Macy's

Pigeons dance and chant around Eternal Flame

A bit of fall remains

Mr. Dottie and Sir Raleigh

Mr. Dottie and Sir Raleigh

Sunset on the ride home

I love the holiday season.  :)

Tagged , , , , , , , ,

25 thoughts on “Chicago’s Christkindlmarket

1. anna says:

Oh, I like Christmas markets. Just not when they are too crowded. We have them everywhere in Vienna, and also in the rest of Austria.
    Btw, that Christmas tree of yours seems massive!

2. aw, that looks like so much fun!! now i have city-envy.

whatwouldanerdwear.blogspot.com

3. Oh cool, I did not know you guys had this in Chicago. The Christmas markets in Vienna and Salzburg in Austria are more numerous and elaborate than the ones in the German cities I’ve been to. I took some snaps of a stall in Vienna at night, when they were just starting to set them up.

My favourite part is of course that they ladel out hot alcohol at these things : ) Do the Chicago markets sell Glühwein?

4. E A says:

Cool… I’ll be down there today. :-)

5. E A says:

I still miss the old Marshall Field’s; seeing Macy’s on State Street still doesn’t fit Chicago.

6. grambev says:

The more I see of Chicago on here the more I’d like to live there. :)

7. Giffen says:

Your Christmas themed handlebar wrapping is brilliant!

8. Emma J says:

I am sending a link to this post to my sister in Chicago – what fun!

9. Soooo fun!!! These are such great pictures and I am so jealous about the fine weather!

10. maria says:

These pictures of Chicago are gorgeous!! Growing up and now living again in MI, I have always wanted to live in Chicago. Someday!

11. Scott says:

The Raleigh’s looking proper, greg.

12. Braxton says:

Now this, of all the things so far, makes me envious. :) Looks like great fun!

13. academichic says:

Wow, way to go, Chicago! That Christkindlmarkt looks like it could be any of the ones around here in Germany, maybe there is something to their lofty claim! Looks like a wonderful day, good to know that I can still enjoy a good christmas market once I’m back in the States if I just come to Chicago. S.

14. Allison says:

OMG-i miss Germany! Do they only have it on one weekend? Or over several? I’m so there next year!

15. Karen says:

What a wonderful market and isn’t it nice to get what could be one last day of temperate weather before Chicago’s winter really sets in. I love your boots, BTW. Suede?

16. welshcyclist says:

Your hair is beautiful.

17. [...] largest Christmas market in the US. Dottie, of Let’s Go Ride A Bike, explored it last year and posted many beautiful pictures. Judging from those, the market seems like it could easily be transplanted into any German or [...]