Happy Thanksgiving!

This year, I am thankful for family and friends near and far;  the community we’ve found through blogging,  good health  and the good food that will be on the table today . . . etc.

But most of all, I’m thankful that after a year and a half on two wheels, I’ve yet to inspire a highway art installment like this one.

Bike art near Guntersville, Alabama

Bike art near Guntersville, Alabama

How about you, friends? And what do you think of this installment? Humorous, or hostile, given that it’s located next to a highway?

And to our American readers — how are you celebrating Thankgiving? I’m spending it away from my family for just the second time in 29 years (yikes). Planned to bring a cake to a friend’s, but a pan extraction incident means I’m making cake balls instead. Something tells me my hosts won’t complain.

(Thanks to Ash & C for the snap!)

Tagged , , ,

15 thoughts on “Happy Thanksgiving!

1. MarkA says:

Happy Thanksgiving to you and your families too – we’re all thankful for Let’s Go Ride a Bike! Here in our London office we’re using Thanksgiving as an excuse to have cake this afternoon, so thanks to the USA for that!

I like the sculpture just because of it’s cleverness – certainly made me look twice.

Mark

2. Wild Bill says:

Installment? Humorous.

Thanksgiving? Making music and going to my favorite Chinese restaurant.

3. miss sarah says:

I forgot your guys’ Thanksgiving isn’t until now! Ours was a while ago in October. Beware the food coma:)

S*!

4. Sox says:

Happy Thanksgiving.

What is a ‘pan extraction’? (Thanksgiving in November I have heard about but not the other.)

5. dukiebiddle says:

Hey, that picture reminds me of this joke:

A guy dies and is sent to hell. He’s met by a devil who explains the rules: “We have three rooms. If you don’t like the first room, you can go look at the other two, but you can’t go back to the first.” The devil takes the guy to the first room. Inside people are standing upside down on hot coals. The guy wipes his brow to clear the sweat and says “Nope… Not for me!” The devil then takes him to the second room and warns him before he opens the door, says, “If you don’t like it here, you must take the third and final room.” The devil opens the door and inside people are standing on their heads in molten lava. Again the guy wipes his brow and says, “Nope… Not for me, either.”

Finally, the devil brings him to the third and last room. Inside people are standing knee-deep in feces, drinking coffee. “Hey I lucked out,” the guy says. “These people seem nice. I like coffee and I can probably get used to the smell. I’ll take this one.”

Five minutes later, the same devil returns and shouts out, “Coffee break’s over! Everybody back on your heads!”

I’m thankful I’m not standing upside down in a room full of feces.

Oh, and I find that photo totally inappropriate. For shame.

Happy Tanks day.

6. Lorenza says:

Hi Trisha! Happy Thanksgiving :) enjoy the holiday time! I am waiting for Xmas time, time off, family, food feast and presents!! yay! Lorenza ♥

7. Giffen says:

Happy Thanksgiving!

This year, I’m really thankful for the existence of Let’s go Ride a Bike, Lovely Bicycle, Copenhagenize, and Copenhagen Cycle Chic. These blogs completely changed the way I think about cycling and made it a very important and enjoyable part of my life.

8. E A says:

Happy Thanksgiving!

as for my thoughts on that bike “installment” == not cool. Does anyone really find this funny?

(except all those motorists out to get us…) eek.

I’m thankful I didn’t drive today. :-)

9. G.E. says:

Happy Thanksgiving to all! :o)

As for the installation, I suppose it could go either way. For me, having to ride on a major highway, and knowing that people have died on bicycles, it just reminds me that I have to be extremely aware of what and who are around. Being an artist though, I find the creativity piece of this very intriguing because I think it will make people think who are driving and perhaps not paying attention. I would love to know the thoughts behind the project, actually.

10. Hans says:

Hey, the picture reminds me of this :

a installation by Claes Oldenburg, burried bicycle.

11. Happy Thanksgiving and thank you for all the wonderful posts!

I don’t get the feeling that the installation is hostile, but I do think it is meant to make drivers aware of the effects they can have on human life.

12. Turkeys must be tasty only for their stuffing :) Hope you had a good meal.

13. dottie says:

I would be happy to eat your cake balls. (Does that sound wrong?) ;)

14. Cyclin Missy says:

That art made me giggle. I like it. ;)