Folding the Jango Flik

I’ve been out of town for a few days, but I’m looking forward to getting back and spending more time with the Flik. It’s a pretty sweet ride so far, and a real conversation starter. Before I left, I recorded this brief, bare-bones video of the folding process over my lunch break — couldn’t pass up the opportunity to spend some time outdoors in “Dragon Park” on such a beautiful fall day! Apologies for the lack of close-ups — a full review is coming soon.

p.s. if you haven’t found it yet, check out our YouTube channel. From the whimsical to the informative, we’re adding all sorts of things to it these days.

Tagged , ,

12 thoughts on “Folding the Jango Flik

1. anna says:

I’m already looking forward to your review. Seems like such a fun bike :).

2. Ghost Rider says:

Trisha,

the spring-loaded pin with the ring is only used to hold the folded bike in the compact “storage” position. You don’t need to pull on it to start the folding process…in other words, if the bike is already unfolded and in riding position, that pin doesn’t bear on anything.

3. dottie says:

Looks very easy to fold and unfold – much faster than the Dahon. On the other hand, the Flik seems quite big even when folded. Maybe because you’re so small? :)

4. Jennie says:

Trish – I want to see a post on biking in Hawaii! I hope you brought the Flik with you!

5. Ghost Rider says:

My time with the Flik is going well…and I, too, am going to shoot comparison photos between it and a more traditional folder to see how they stack up in terms of compactness.

6. MarkA says:

I just love seeing different bikes – there really is a bike for everyone. Foldies have become really popular here in London ‘cos you can’t take ‘full’ bikes on most of the trains, the buses, the light rail or the Underground and because bicycle thievery is, well, like an epidemic. So everyone is buying Bromptons, taking them folded on the train into town, cycling across town to the office, and then chucking the bikes under their desks for the day. I like the idea that you can engineer a bike as a solution to a problem that might help more people consider cycling. We even have a folding bike race which involves commuters running to their folding bikes from a standing start, unfolding their bikes as fast as they can and then cycling a lap as fast as they can in their suits and ties – always great fun.

7. Milo says:

Hi Trish!

I’d just like to echoe Dottie’s comment: the Flic doesn’t seem much reduced when folded; like how do you move it around, onto a train or bus or into the trunk of someone’s car?! I like what Mark A said: a really small-folding bike that rides well and gets accepted on board buses and trains or slips beneath an office desk at work is worth the extra you pay for it. I got lucky: I bought my used Brompton at an auction for about the same as Flik ask for their bike. Fenders, Brooks B 17 saddle, rear rack, lights, rear suspension, Schwalbe Marathon 16 inch wheels, 25-litre front pannier, 3-speed (now a 6-speed). It certainly doesn’t look as stylish as your Flik! A Brompton looks like an engineer’s brainwave, which is pretty much what it is, and folds down into a tiny space! When I carried it onto a city bus in Denver, Co, the bus driver stared and stared, then stood up and bowed silently!

Milo.

8. Milo says:

Dottie,

For a folding bike race, Google BWC 2010. (That’s a seriously eccentric folding bike race, called Brompton World Championships) centered around the Brompton bicycle, with owners sprinting toward their waiting, folded bikes for a mass-start. Took place this year at Blenheim Palace, no less!

Milo.

9. Milo says:

Dottie,

If you want to see a folding bike race, Google BWC 2010. (That’s Brompton World Championships). A seriously eccentric bike race with riders running toward their folded waiting bikes in a mass-start like the Le Mans car races of old. Irresistible!

Milo.