The Last Week of October

Fall weather in Chicago this year has been up and down, with brief periods of sun amid days of cold rain. Today we seized upon one of the warm and dry periods to enjoy a ride up the lakefront. A lot of Chicagoans had the same idea, so we detoured off the crowded main trail to amble through secondary dirt paths.

Autumn Ivy

Autumn Ivy

Betty Foy and Sir Raleigh made ideal riding partners. Not only do they share dashing good looks and utilitarian common sense (Brooks and Honjos and lugs, oh my!), they naturally move at near the same pace.

Rivendell and Raleigh

Rivendell and Raleigh

By the Lake

By the Lake

Dirt Trail

Dirt Trail

November is only one week away (yikes!) and I took advantage of the 60 degree temperatures to wear my favorite vintage dress for what may be the last time until April. The red shoes should work throughout the slushy winter, safely nestled in the basket until I reach my destination.

The Red Shoes - Again

The Red Shoes - Again

Betty Foy and Me

Betty Foy and Me

Colorful Trees

Colorful Trees

I am mentally preparing myself for the end of fall, although last year the snow did not arrive until late November. I’m kinda obsessed with appreciating the colored leaves.  I love winter white, but it lasts soooo long here.  How is the line between fall and winter looking for everyone else?

Tagged , , , , , , , ,

28 thoughts on “The Last Week of October

1. Doug says:

I, too, thought winter lasted a long time when I lived in the Chicago area. That was until I moved to Northern Minnesota. Chicago winters seem mild to me now.

Here, after two days of wind, the leaves are mostly gone and we’ve had snow mixed in with the rain on several days the past week.

The finished Sir Raleigh looks great.

2. Sarah says:

It snowed here today (Boulder, CO)! Yesterday it was 60 degrees, though. Last year it did not snow into well into November, but this year we’ve had snow and sleet a few times already. I can’t say I’m exactly thrilled about this early taste of winter – I wasn’t even ready for fall, let alone winter. Luckily Boulder does typically get warmish days throughout the winter, but it’s looking like it’s going to be wetter this year.

The ivy photo is beautiful!

3. Sungsu says:

Here in Vancouver, it just starts to rain more and more, then it gets colder and rains some more. After the occasional snowfall, it rains some more, and then around March, it rains a little less until June.

4. Jason Crane says:

You folks sure do post some incredible photos. The top one on this page is amazing — whoever is taking these has a great eye.

• dottie says:

Thanks. Most of the pictures are taken by me and some by Greg, especially if I’m the subject, like the one on the top of this page. And Trisha takes the pictures for her posts. I hope to buy a fancy DSLR camera when I have a steady job again.

5. Carolyn says:

It snowed today in Prince George for the first time this season. It’s weird seeing white ground again, but should melt soon.

6. Cosmo says:

Your autumn looks wonderful. I am not sure we are going to get fall at all here this year. We had one week of insane heat then it dropped to the 60s and this week it is back up to the 80s. I almost miss the mid-western autumn and leaves changing and everything.

7. Those are some beautiful photos! I especially love the Autumnal ivy.

After an unseasonably cold week with even a touch of snow, Boston is experiencing true Autumn again, leaves still in full colour and temperatures in the 50s.

8. Trisha says:

I agree, the ivy is gorgeous! Good to see more of Sir R, I have been wondering how things were going with him. Has a hand position been decided on?

9. miss sarah says:

I just came back from Vancouver to Edmonton.

Enough said.

S*

10. meligrosa says:

dont tell me that. I dont want october to end. this month has been the best october in amny years!! oh wait, monday again tomorrow… NOOO!!! :D
    delish red shoes, btw <3

11. Sox says:

The leaves have now changed so we now have fall after an early snow two weeks ago.
    Your colours are gorgeous-beautiful pictures.
    Here, every day after Hallowe’en without snow is a gift. Last year, it came wet and heavy, on November 7 and it, and several other flurries hadn’t melted yet on March 27, when we got another big snow.
    We enjoy autumn while it lasts.
    Have fun!

12. I’m feeling much the same as you. I’ve been making a point of appreciating everything I can about this fall season. I can’t make the inevitable approach of winter stop, so I might as well find something positive about it. My hubby and I took a long walk last night looking at all the colorful trees. In a week or so, they’ll all the bare, but for now, they’re beautiful. I’m also unwilling to hang up my skinny tired bike just yet. I’ll still find windows of dry pavement to use it before the snow comes. Then I’ll be on my mountain bike and my own two feet more to get outside.

13. welshcyclist says:

Great to see you’re out there taking advantage of whatever the weather has to offer, that is what it’s all about.

14. cratedigger says:

nice shots. the ivy one is great.
    Looking fwd to more detail on the Raleigh build up. It looks like it is perfect for Chi!

15. Bryan says:

With the exception of that gorgeous day we had yesterday here in Milwaukee, we’ve had way too much November-style weather for October. The fall colors look so much nicer when the sun is out, but the sun has been in such short supply lately.

16. Hallie says:

Where did you get those lovely red shoes?! Also, I’d like to know more about your blue bike.

• dottie says:

Hi Hallie, the red shoes are Marc Jacobs and I bought them at a Saks outlet (Off 5th) about 5 years ago. The blue bike is a Rivendell Betty Foy. You can put “betty foy” in the search box and a bunch of posts will come up. I’ll be posting a full, official review very soon.

17. philippe says:

The first pic is just perfect.

18. sara says:

The red shoes & the red ivy. Ahhh.

19. Catherine says:

It pretty much just turned what I would consider “fall” here. Then again, I’m accustomed to a New England fall so anything else by comparison never quite makes it. Our temperatures over the course of October have been fairly standard autumn issue, but the leaves just refused to budge an inch away from green….until this weekend.

So I took advantage of the leaf situation and took myself and my bike to the National Arboretum and spent hours just riding around, punctuated by periods of time lying on benches looking up at the trees and sky. It was lovely.

I had borrowed this digital video camera intended for use in movement type sports, and used it to film my commute a few times in September and early October but the thing was plagued by technical problems. I wasn’t too concerned because I wanted to try to film the commute during peak leaf time anyway. I just had to return it to my friend on Thursday because he was going on vacation….and NOW the leaves turn. Oh, well.

20. Mamavee says:

hey, and I was googling the betty and I saw your latest vid. Very nice thanks. When you get a chance can you talk more about the shifters. I used shifters near the thumbs…

• dottie says:

You found me out Nancy Drew! I just filmed that yesterday and am waiting until I can write a full review to accompany it before posting. I love the shifters. I’ll try to do a shifters video sometime soon.

21. 2whls3spds says:

Here in the middle of the Deep South fall is just starting to come in to it’s own. It has been an odd year weatherwise for me. I spent the summer and the early fall in the Midwest (Iowa) and they had one of the coldest summers on record, saw our first snow fall in early October! Got home to near normal temperatures with fall on it’s way.

Went riding Sunday on a local trail along the river, a bit on the cool side. The weather guessers missed and we never made the forecast high of 70. My bride has decided that I have no clue what rolling hills are and deliberately took her on an alpine trip instead. LOL

Aaron

22. academichic says:

Fall is my absolute favorite season! So I’m loving it and hoping to enjoy it for as long as possible!

I love your red shoes and especially with that outfit – the pop of red in those pictures is beautiful! S.

23. Ira says:

The ivy picture is gorgeous!

24. grambev says: