Picture Message Gallery

You know you’ve secured your reputation as a bicycle fanatic when you start receiving random bike picture messages. It makes me feel happy to know that even my non-cyclist friends are now on the lookout for bicycles everywhere. It’s just a matter of time before they too succumb . . . right guys?

My friend Ali sent me this photo of a Batavus Course that she spotted in Charlotte. I’ve never seen a sporty Bat in the wild*, so this was a lucky sighting. If you look closely you can see the pinstriped lugs.

80s Batavus Course

1980s Batavus Course

And  Amy reminded me that Mormon missionaries are some of the most dedicated cyclists around when she snapped this image of a couple of them riding down a highway outside Birmingham.

Jehovah's Witnesses take to the road in Alabama

Mormons take to the road in Alabama—are those folding bikes?

Do your non-cycling friends support your obsession? How?

* I have seen them in the blogosphere—Cosmo just rode the SCS Spirit.

Tagged , , ,

27 thoughts on “Picture Message Gallery

1. Sox says:

One friend of mine says he has seen many bikes on his trip to Ottawa and said he would take some pictures for me.

2. Melanie says:

Mormon missionaries in the US (at least where I’m from) typically ride cheap mountain bikes. Very few female missionaries bike as they are usually provided with cars or assigned to safe pedestrian-friendly areas. In my experience with the LDS, a very low percentage of guys who ride bikes for their two year missions continue to bike afterwards.

• dukiebiddle says:

I didn’t even know there were female missionaries. Is there an obligation, like with the fellas? Actually, I guess that is all off bike topic. Never mind, I can google.

Trisha, I can’t say for sure, but those look like affordable rigid mountain bikes to me, which I would suspect is the most practical. Those kids missionize* in some rough areas.

*made up word, and I like it

• Trisha says:

I think Alabaster, Alabama might be one of the roughest places to missionize. At least, for Mormons — too many born-again Baptists!

*I like your word too.

@Melanie, that’s interesting. It didn’t occur to me that only men would ride from door to door. But isn’t it mostly men who are missionaries anyway? I don’t know many Mormons, but the couple of women I know did not spend that year or so spreading the word, while their brothers did.

• Steven Vance says:

The Mormon church calls it proselytize, instead of missionize.

• Edward Lark says:

No obligation for mormon women to be missionaries, and a bit of discouragement as well. The church allows women to serve as missionaries rather grudgingly – getting hitched to a returned “fella” and then cranking out the babies is the much preferred role.

3. ghd3 says:

great post, and good reminder on the LDS elders as dedicated cyclists, though I think Melanie is right that most don’t ride high-end bikes. I’ve seen a few with nice rides, however.

• Steven Vance says:

LDS missionaries often procure their bikes from the previous missionary in their locale, from a thrift store, or from a local church member. Sometimes, though, their family at home will send them a bike.

4. dottie says:

I saw two guys on bikes today who I’m pretty sure are Mormon missionaries. Now that Melanie mentions it, I’ve never seen female missionaries on bikes.

5. dukiebiddle says:

My friends are all bicycle oblivious, even bike hostile. “Oh my God, how can ride a bike in blahblablah. It’s sooooo dangerous… I’d ride to work, but I don’t want to get killed. blahblahblah Did you see on the news that a bicyclist died a 100 miles from here? SEE??? I was scared it might be you.” I thought I was going to have to restrain one from physically attacking a pregnant woman who was pushing her cruiser without a helmet (walking… pushing) “Oh, yeah, real smart… B***H!” So no, not supportive, AT ALL.

6. That is so funny! My friends – who do not cycle – have sent me photos of bicycles they think I may like. Usually these are bicycles that look old-fashioned or have flowers on them : )

7. cb says:

Poor Bat rider is too big for his ride. Look how high that saddle is raised!

8. Kara says:

My brother and cousins all served Mormon missions. Most of them served abroad and rode bikes, from Europe to Japan. And yes, my girl cousin rode a bike for her mission in France.

9. John Nelson says:

I saw two mormons riding their bikes in downtown LA today. My hat off to anyone riding in rush hour traffic in Los Angeles.

10. Jennie says:

Trish – I am glad Allison and Amy are on top of the bike sightings! I thought I was the only one in our group who randomly shouted in the car “Look! Bikes! Trisha! Real Clothes!”. I will make an attempt of photographic evidence the next time I see the work clothes commuter who treks up and down 31 and windy Acton Road. Also – I see a lot of the Mexican kids on bikes by my office ALL THE TIME! I think it is cool. They ride on the side walk though.

• Trisha says:

Snap ‘em for me Jen! :) Yep, everyone’s on top of it, including you with your tip on the Google mapping and the action shot of the one chic cyclist we saw in Asheville. I should have thrown her in, too.

11. Steven Vance says:

I run a Wiki about Japanese Nishik road bikes. I do ask for contributions, and I get about 0.5-1.0 contributions per month. Not every includes pictures. Most of those who email say they recently acquired a Nishiki and they want to know more about its history.

Japanese Nishikis stopped being sold in the United States in 1992, I think. Any Nishiki you see after that time is most likely a Chinese-made mountain bike from a different company who adopted the Nishiki name.

12. Randy says:

I am Mormon and served as a missionary for two years in Chicago speaking spanish. I can attest to the fact that those missionaries are probably riding cheap mtn bikes. Our bikes get stolen quite frequently (esp in the ghettos of chicago). I had a couple of cheaper mtn bikes as a missionary and would always uglify them so they looked less attractive. My time on a bike as a missionary is what sparked my interest in cycling and now it is an obsession. Also, girl missionaries do also ride bikes, there are just fewer of them than the guys. They are also put into more of the areas that use cars as the mode of transport.

13. Edward Lark says:

My non-cycling friends (which is pretty much all of them), look upon my cycling with sort of bemused amusement. I’m “the bike guy” – it is usually said with touch of respect and a large helping of incomprehension.

(I have converted at least one friend, however. He took up bike commuting last year and has been a pretty regular fair-weather commuter. My boss has also asked me to help him buy a bike. – – Baby steps. :)

14. Catherine says:

Hrm, I don’t get (and don’t really need!) bike picture-messages, but I don’t have any bike hostile friends. Just friends. Who don’t ride bikes.

15. Elaine says:

I actually only know one of my friends who rode a bike on his mission and it was in Las Vegas!!! Think of how hot and sweaty that must’ve been….

16. Dean Peddle says:

Nah…my friends don’t send me bikes….they tell me they saw me riding today…and it’s never me. They seem to think that every rider they see out there is me. I guess I’m the only person in the world that rides a bike :)

17. Allison says:

It’s like programmed in my brain now. Bike=Trisha. If I could get over my clumsy-ness, then, perhaps we might tackle a bike one day. Let me get through this pregnancy first. LOL.

18. Softball says:

Softball…

[...]Picture Message Gallery « Let's Go Ride a Bike – life on two wheels: simple. stylish. fun.[...]…