Frigid Fall

Brrr, there is a chill in the air now. Chicago temperatures are hovering around the 30’s and 40’s. Tights, boots, wool socks and wool sweaters are serving me well thus far. My heavy duty gloves from last year are wrecked, so I ordered these goose down gore-tex mittens and silk glove liners. Hope they do the trick this winter.

Below is a typical outfit for this weather, except I took off my Ibex wool sweater (a present from Mr. Dottie) to show my pretty dress (a present from Trisha).

Took my wool sweater off for photo op only

Me, Betty and the El Train

Chicago

Fall in Chicago

My dress matches the leaves

Red Leaf

Like Lovely Bicycle, I’ve taken to photos of the colorful changing leaves. October, October, October – my favorite month! A great time to start or continue cycling!

Tagged , , , , , , , , ,

25 thoughts on “Frigid Fall

1. Ira says:

Those mittens look very warm! My grandfather used to wear silk glove liners when he was trapping in the winter because they shed cold water so well.

2. dukiebiddle says:

The picture of those gore-tex mittens just triggered my winter anxiety, which is silly because it only gets cold enough for those for about a week ’round these parts. I don’t cope with the cold very well.

3. Jon says:

I wear DeKine snowboard gloves all winter, on the bike. Below about 20 degrees F, I add some liners.

Below zero, I sometimes use overmitts (but I usually forget them and ride without).

Anyway, I find that if I can keep the hands and feet warm, that I can ride in just about any winter weather with little discomfort.

4. Trisha says:

Those mittens look so cozy! But like dukie I’d only need ‘em for a month or so. Your tights, now, I might find a more justifiable purchase! Love the cable pattern.

5. Sarah says:

I envy your stylish way of dressing! I wish I knew how to dress like that, but I wouldn’t even know where to start. I’m not sure I’d be warm enough, though – I am very impressed that you are; that doesn’t seem like very many layers. We had freezing temperatures last weekend and I had to bundle up in way more layers than that (thick tights + pants, long sleeve shirt, wool sweater or fleece (or both), and windbreaker, thick scarf that covers my mouth, ear-band + hat under helmet, wool socks, warm shoes, and down mittens). This was when the temperature was hovering around freezing or a bit below, so maybe it is a little warmer there. When it’s in the 40s I don’t need quite so many layers (but the mittens are a must even when it’s in the 50s – my fingers get cold so easily).

• Sarah says:

Oh, and my mittens are very similar to the ones you ordered and they are great. I find that having mittens rather than gloves makes a huge difference. My fingers stay much warmer. And I am still able to shift :)

• dottie says:

Thanks! I say you can never go wrong with a dress, tights, and boots :)

This ride was around 40 degrees, I think. Can’t remember exactly. I stay very warm on my bike, even when I just start out. I can’t remember ever shivering on my bike, but I will shiver when walking to my bike, if that makes sense. Must be a psychological effect.

You’ll see much more layering going on as winter comes, although if it’s not lower that 28 degrees f or so, I usually go with a wool undershirt and super thick wool sweater and no coat for longer rides; otherwise, I get hot.

My fingers were always cold last winter, so I’m hoping the mittens will be my salvation.

6. I was wondering about the uncovered arms and open neck. It sent a chill trough me(Then I read a little). I did wear shorts last week, but I had high socks on and lots of covering everywhere else.

Ibex is on my list.

7. Miss sarah says:

You have leaves! We went from hot, to snow. And not the kind that melts when it hits the ground:)

8. E A says:

Ooh… the chill in the air today (along with the dampness) convinced me to add a base layer to my wardrobe. Silk! Love it.

9. Elaine says:

What kind of tights do you like for riding? I’ve been wearing skirts lately on some rides, and definitely need some nice tights as the weather cools down. I’m usually really cheap buying tights (grocery store!), but am thinking it’d be worth spending some $$$ for good wool tights.

• dottie says:

I believe in investing in tights, although somehow I have a pair that I bought in the summer of 2001 from Target in preparation for studying abroad in Russia and I still wear them, in perfect condition.

The tights in the picture are HUE. I bought them from Macy’s. $20, which felt was a bit much but they’re thick sweater tights and super warm. Smart Wool tights are pricey, but I just ordered some half-off from the REI Outlet. I have a pair of Calvin Klein wool blend tights that are very warm, but run small FYI.

When real winter temps set in – under 10 degrees f – I start wearing wool leggings under jeans and in combination with tights under skirts. These can be way pricey, but I have only two pairs from Patagonia that I wear over and over again (I love that wool doesn’t have to be washed much).

• Elaine says:

Under 10F?! Jeebus. I switch to riding the bus when the morning temps drop below 30F…then again, I’m in western WA, we don’t get quite so cold.

I bought a couple of pairs of (synthetic) tights last night…Fred Meyer was having a sock sale, so I figured it was worth experimenting. Today I have on these super-thick with kind of a plush inside. Way comfy. Looking forward to the commute, if the rain will co-operate and let me wear a skirt home.

I have some capilene leggings, I usually wear with rainpants or workout pants for my morning commute. Very comfortable, and surprisingly tough.

• dottie says:

Here’s the link to the Smart Wool tights on sale.

10. Kristyn says:

If you have a TJ Max (or Marshall’s)nearby they currently have tons of tights. Hue sweater tights were $9.99 (cotton). I have some Smart Wool leggings, but don’t care too much for them. They need a little lycra in them to hold their shape. Let us know if the SmartWool tights are better. And, thanks for that link to Ibex. Me likes! :)

11. Carolyn says:

It snowed today! And it’s been as cold as 21 F….brrrrr. A tiny bit of snow today too and ice on roads. I miss summer! Those gloves you are getting look nice and toasty.

12. ms. elle says:

THanks for the great wool tights info!

13. Karen says:

Oh, you’re wearing boots and tights! I ordered a pair of tall boots this week to wear with tights and skirts. I am very worried about pairing textures and colors. You seem pretty successfully daring. I shall look to your for inspiration.

14. Richard says: