The Red Shoes

Yesterday I attended a party at De Fietsfabriek, a Dutch bike shop, to celebrate the fall line of Po Campo stylish bike bags. I wore my lucky red velvet Marc Jacobs shoes and a vintage red bow.

The red shoes are lucky because I wore them when I met Tori Amos and the first thing she said to me was: “I love your shoes!” Then she hugged me. This is the kind of outfit I wear simply because it makes me happy like a little girl. RED BOW!

what's black and white and red all over?

what's black and white and red all over?

If I may extol the benefits of fall riding a bit more, the weather was perfect. A crisp chill in the air allowed me to make it through the 4 mile ride unaffected by sweat. I pulled my helmet off and there was no need to comb my hair – red bow and all.

Chilly Sun and De Fietsfabriek Cargo Bike

Chilly Sun and De Fietsfabriek Cargo Bike

De Fietsfabriek imports bikes from Holland, similar to my Oma. This cargo bike is super cool, the ultimate in kid-toting. There is a cushioned seat for two in the front of the box with seat belts, most helpful for keeping squirming bodies in place, I assume.

Ultimate child cargo bike

Ultimate child cargo bike

There was a good crowd there, including Elizabeth from Bike Commuters and Leah, who said four of my favorite words: “I read your blog.” (Read Elizabeth’s take on the night here.)

The four of us live in the same neighborhood, so we had a fun-filled ride home together. I love riding in small groups; it’s much more enjoyable than being alone.

The group at De Fietsfabrick

The group at De Fietsfabrick

Elizabeth in the bike lane

Elizabeth, Greg, and my arm in the bike lane

I set the pace in front because Oma and I are so fast, obviously. I’ve never known my speed on Oma, but based on Elizabeth’s speedometer, we were going 12 mph at a laid back pace. Then I kicked it up a bit for the remainder of the ride. How fast was that, EA? She said I have really good cadence. Sweet!

The red shoes being silly four years ago

The red shoes being silly four years ago

Happy riding!

p.s. If you haven’t yet, head over to Being Totally Sweet in Chicago to read an interview with me about city cycling and blogging.

p.p.s. Watch “The Red Shoes” music video by the fabulous Kate Bush here (Its the red shoes, they cant stop dancing, dancing).

Tagged , , , , , , , , ,

17 thoughts on “The Red Shoes

1. Julian says:

For the fellas – what’s Greg wearing? Chic & visible?

• dottie says:

Very visible! He’s wearing a Craft windbreaker. I have one, too. They’re awesome – extremely lightweight, can be rolled up in a little ball for storage, and keep the wind out. The piping is reflective, as you can see in the picture. I like mine because it’s dark brown and pink, but visible to cars at night because of the piping.

2. Trisha says:

Kate Bush! What is it about red shoes that make you feel so happy (well, when they’re not making you dance yourself to death, that is)? I love wearing mine too. Looks like a fun evening! I wish more bikey events were going on ’round here these days.

3. Sox says:

That is a very …interesting…video.

4. Mamavee says:

and you are a kate bush fan too. I knew I liked you for a reason.

5. Karen says:

I am a fool for red shoes!

6. Emma J says:

I love the red shoes – and the article on Totally Sweet. When I was in Belgium a few winters ago I adored all the stylish women in high heeled boots and long skirts and scarves. But it’s not until seeing some stateside examples that I’m seeing that maybe something like that is possible even here. Thanks for living it!

7. miss sarah says:

Man, I’m so jealous that there is a place in your city that actually carries A cargo bike let alone a good one! No cargo bikes to be found here;( I’m in the middle of ordering one from Utah. GST. Duty. Exchange rate. Broker. Agh!

But I’m sure it will be worth it once it gets here:)

S*

8. academichic says:

Fabulous! You look great, I love the entire look, esp. the red touches and the gloves! As always, showing how cycling and style go hand-in-hand!

The event sounds really fun, now I’m going to go click on all your links…

Ps: I’m glad you like Daddy Likey! The Don’t Show you Chocha series are hilarious, aren’t they? I’m addicted! S.

9. I have a pair of suede red flats similar to those that I love but only wear indoors. I find it painful to walk in thin-soled flats, but I will give them a try on the bike.

The Kate Bush video is dangerous to watch if you’re trying to get work done. I am given to spontaneous dancing bursts.

10. E A says:

Dottie, you really did kick up the speed on the final leg of the ride — up to 16mph at one glance. :-) “Sweet!” is right. Ever consider time trials? ;-)

11. Charlotte says:

Love your shoes! There’s something about cute red shoes, isn’t there Dorothy?

12. grambev says:

An embarrassed zebra! ;)

13. It was super nice to meet you and Greg too! Super fun ride home. I love riding with peeps :)

14. Astrid Honeybee says:

I love red shoes!!! I have four pairs now! maybe the Kate Bush song is a reference to the film ‘The Red Shoes’ in which a ballet dancer dances her self to death in her red shoes, I think. The film is from the 40’s it is brilliant!!!

15. Astrid Honeybee says:

oh yeah, it’s great! I have some red ballet shoes that look just like the ones in the film, we had to dye them especially!!!