Explore: Chicago’s Southport Corridor

Riding my bicycle has become a lifestyle, even when I am not on my bike. It’s all about slowing down and being a part of the city. To this end, I take time to enjoy all the nooks and crannies of my neighborhood.

9-6 cafe avanti

9-6 benefit

The Southport Corridor is a popular commercial street in Chicago’s Lakeview neighborhood, not far from Wrigley Field and about a mile from Lake Michigan. The Corridor is not quite my cup of tea, with many boutiques where I would not shop and bars where I would not drink.  Despite this, the area has a lot to offer. I took all of these photographs in a one-mile stretch of the street.

9-6 blue bayou

9-6 anthro

9-6 Fridas

My favorite Southport attraction is a store called Candyality. This place carries all of my old favorites, like Sugar Daddies, Oh Henry! bars, and candy cigarettes. When you pay they will tell you your “candyality” personal profile based on your choices. Like psychoanalysis but with gummi bears.

9-6 candy

9-6 dot pops

9-6 lollies

Another favorite is Ann Sather, an old Swedish breakfast restaurant. They are all about the freshly baked, sugar oozing cinnamon roll. Sooo good.

9-6 sather

9-6 scooter

9-6 tshirt

I go to this decent Irish cafe, Mystic Celt, for one of my favorite meals: grilled cheese and Guinness.

9-6 mystic celt

9-6 park

Music Box Theatre is an excellent contribution to the street, playing a unique mix of films and hosting awesome events like sing-along Little Mermaid (“I’ve got gadgets and gizmos a-plenty / I’ve got whozits and whatzits galore”).

9-6 music box

9-6 wall

9-6 wait

If you are visiting Chicago, Southport Corridor would not be among my top recommendations of places to visit. But if you live here, it is definitely worth checking out, preferably by bike or foot. There are gems all around the city – that’s why I love riding around it so much.

Tagged

15 thoughts on “Explore: Chicago’s Southport Corridor

1. anna says:

Lovely. I want candy too. Now!

2. Scott says:

I like Julius Meinl and Southport Grocery in this area.

3. Oh, I love gummy worms and bears. Those lollipops look delicious but I never finish them. I think they make great paddles for fraternity brothers.haha. Thanks for visiting my blog=)

4. Steven Vance says:

Why wouldn’t it be a top location to visit in Chicago?
    What are your top recommended locations to visit?

• dottie says:

Hi Steven,

Hmm, that’s a big question. That will have to be a post on its own, but places that spring to mind are Millenium Park area, Damen in Bucktown, Milwaukee & North in Wicker Park, Armitage & Halsted in Lincoln Park, Lincoln Square, Clark in Andersonville, and Roscoe Village are all areas that I would recommend before Southport. Southport is not a top location because there’s so many other places to choose from in the city with more original stuff that suits my taste.

5. conrad says:

makes me want to visit chicago sometime soon.

6. meligrosa says:

yay that lolly (dolly?) picture is great. also love that little monster dood on the wall. barrrgrghghgh!! <3 /xo.m

7. John says:

We do see so much more when we slow down.

8. academichic says:

Great post! I’ve only been on one short visit to Chicago (A. and I ran a half marathon and saw lots of the city on foot that way last summer) and this makes me really want to go back! Thanks for a lovely exposé! S.

9. cupcakerator says:

This makes me miss Chicago greatly. Mannn, I want to move there.

10. sara says:

Great photos, Dottie. I agree with you that bike commuting has made me look at my world with a more detailed-eye.

Meanwhile, not sure if you and Trisha have seen this NYTimes article about bikes as fashion: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/10/fashion/10bikes.html?emc=eta1

Thought you would be interested….

11. matthew says:

a female who cycles and loves Guinness- i might be falling

12. Katherine says:

I think there are more of us than you can imagine.

I miss this area! Great photos!

13. I found your blog on google and read a few of your other posts. I just added you to my Google News Reader. Keep up the good work. Look forward to reading more from you in the future.