Under the Magnolia Tree

Hello, I am back. :) This is the second in a series of slightly shaky videos documenting my commute. Not sure the full fun of whizzing across the crosswalk and ducking beneath the magnolia was captured here, but I had to give it a shot! This is the closest nature enroaches on my fairly urban route. How about you?

Tagged , , ,

14 thoughts on “Under the Magnolia Tree

1. Love the ducking under magnolia trees! Did you have the camera attached to the handlebars, or were you holding it with one hand while cycling?

I am lucky enough to live in a tree-lined area, so most of my commutes are in the shade. Will try to post some photos of the area around where we live.

2. Ashley says:

Just getting caught up on all the posts I missed while I was on vacation – and not really checking internet/email (for fear of work calling).

I love these new posts. Dottie has some great pictures, and I LOVE the posts of your first bike ride. More pics of you and Charlie! :) You guys were so flippin cute!

3. kim says:

hey trisha,
    i duck under that same magnolia tree every day. ;-)
    kim

4. Doohickie says:

How about you?

CLUNK

(I would hit my head on the tree!)

I ride through some pretty nice neighborhoods, and sometimes along a river trail, so I see some wildlife. I’ve seen a lot of the water birds along the river, not to mention a few turtles. Overland I caught up to a momma possum with about a half-dozen babies on her back.

• Trisha says:

@Kim — so you know how fun it is!

@Doohickie, it is lucky I’m short for sure. I don’t know how taller people navigate that crosswalk. Sounds like you have a beautiful nature ride.

5. Jon says:

I ride through a pretty affluent neighborhood, at one point in my morning commute. It always amazes me how many foxes live in among the million-dollar homes.

6. Man says:

Like the bike riding video idea! I give you credit.
    I can’t even get a half decent panda shot of myself let alone ride and take a video.

• Trisha says:

@Jon — I would love to see a fox! No actual wildlife other than squirrels yet.

@Man, thank you. I was concerned about how it would turn out. I think I need a tripod handlebar.

7. dottie says:

I remember that Magnolia tree! As you know, I don’t get very close to nature. The lakefront trail is a natural as it gets in Chicago.

8. ksteinhoff says:

I find myself shooting more video, but I’m doing less and less of it from the bike. It’s too bumpy and you don’t realize how much you turn your bars back and forth, especially at slow speeds.

Here’s the way I mount my camera:

Before the next Freakbike ride I’m going to rig the camera facing backward from my rear rack to I can get faces, not biker butt.

9. kim says:

actually, trisha, i have hit my head on that magnolia tree at LEAST once! i felt sort of silly when it happened, but happen it did.

sometimes i think it would be good if that low-hanging branch was trimmed back, but…i also would hate to do that to the tree. it just makes it a tad difficult to see the traffic that may (or may not be) coming down Magnolia. fitting that’s the street’s name, eh? ;-)

it’s probably good the tree forces me to stop and look carefully. i will think of it that way.

10. kim says:

yesterday, when i rode to and from work, the magnolia tree was still hanging low, and causing me to duck as i passed under it. TODAY, when i rode to the village, i noticed the tree had been trimmed. no ducking!

11. Trisha says:

Oh no! really? It wasn’t like that on Thursday. I guess I”ll have to check tomorrow!