New Toys, New Friends

This week brought a couple of changes for me.

I got a rearview mirror for my bike.

I see . . . me!

I see . . . me!

Still playing with the best way to adjust it, but it’s nice to be able to keep an eye on what’s behind me without turning my head. I got used to this little luxury while riding Oma last month.

Now for the new friend:

Walter "Wally" Kitten

Walter "Wally" Kitten

Wally was found abandoned at a nearby apartment complex a couple of weeks ago. After much debate, and assurance from Dottie that one must have at least four cats to qualify as a crazy cat lady, he came home with me last Saturday. I’m happy to have him; the other member of my household is not so sure yet. But we’re working on it. You can’t really hate someone you’ve shared a meal with, right?

Wally and Willie

Wally and Willie

Happy weekend! I’m off to take advantage of our gorgeously cool, not-humid weather and take a ride before catching Harry Potter at the drive-in tonight.

Tagged , ,

24 thoughts on “New Toys, New Friends

1. Jennie says:

Maybe you should put Willie and Wally in the bike basket and go for a ride! Cute new addition Trish! I won’t make fun of you for being a ‘cazy cat lady’. Not. ;)

2. meligrosa says:

awwwww. kittie luv <3
    nice picture of you mirrorized ;)

3. Doohickie says:

Oh! teh ky00t kitteh!

I recently started using a mirror. Since I ride 4 different bikes I decided to get a helmet mounted one (I always use the same helmet). It is truly wonderful to have a more complete view of the road. I’ve heard that it’s easier (smaller head movements) to get a good view with a helmet mounted mirror than a bike mounted one. A tip: don’t ever trust the mirror completely.

4. Kyong says:

both are neat additions!

5. sara says:

I’ve been curious about mirrors for a bit. I wear eyeglasses & find it hard to see sometimes when I turn my head b/c the frames.

• Doohickie says:

Sara-

They don’t cost very much and are definitely worth a try. I find that my glasses actually help me aim my helmet mounted mirror because I can position it to put it just inside the upper left corner of my frame line where it is in perfect view.

• Trisha says:

Sara — if you can get it positioned right, as Doohickie says, it’s a great thing. And Doohickie, to your earlier comment: should have mentioned that of course I still throw a glance over my shoulder if I’m moving to turn left, but it’s nice to always have a general idea of what’s behind you.

6. Oh, what a beautiful kitten! And don’t worry, two cats are better than one — and easier to take care of, because they keep each other company.

I have not made up my mind yet about mirrors; not sure whether they would ultimately help or distract me. I’d really like to find a vintage-looking mirror to put on my Pashley and give it a try, but have not seen one yet.

• Trisha says:

Mirrors of any sort are really hard to find! It’s possible you could rig a vintage mirror to work on a bike? At first it is distracting, but you get used to it.

7. 2whls3spds says:

Big fan of mirrors…if I would quit losing them.

Cats rule, dogs drool ;-)

Wally is cute, see if you can get him cycling with you. We have a guy that rides around my area with a cat on his shoulder, can’t ever seem to get a picture of him. His cat is a Mi-ke also known as a Japanese Bobtail

Aaron

8. ksteinhoff says:

I’ve tried just about every mirror I’ve come across. The best for me, by far, is the Chuck Harris mirror that’s made out of recycled spokes and mirrors.

It’s available in either helmet mount or eyeglass frame mount. It’s solid enough that you can pick up your helmet by the mirror (not recommended) and not knock it out of adjustment.

(We’re cat people, too. Not by choice. Just about the time one cat takes the dirt nap, another one shows up at the front door. There must be some kind of secret signal being passed on with the passing on.)

9. Christa says:

I was just thinking that I wanted to try a rearview mirror. Thanks for the tip and link!

Cute kitty. :)

10. Charlie says:

Trish, you are meant to aim the mirror at what’s behind you, not yourself ;)

• Trisha says:

Christa — you’re welcome! Thanks for the cat appreciation.

Charl — couldn’t help it, it’s hard to look at anything else when I’m just so really, really, ridiculously good-looking. ;-)

11. alice says:

Ah cute kitten! We just got kittens too. The rearview looks like a good idea.

12. dottie says:

YAY WALLY!! Cone tail! He’s a natural on the bicycle.

I love my two handlebar mirrors. I can’t ride without them now.

13. academichic says:

Wally is sooo cute! I agree, 2 cats is nothing, you’ve still got a ways to go before you can stop riding your bike, start living in a bathrobe, and worry about filling all the little bowls of milk laying around the house. ;)
    S.

14. bikedate says:

love mirrors. once you use them you can’t go without them. it would be like taking them off your car. and on a bike a lot of what you want to be aware of is behind you! i use the myrracle (sp?) on my bike i ride to work, and i started using the Sprintech Bar-End Mirrors on my road bike (they slip right in the end of the bar). i do wish there was a way to make them look nicer, but man they are useful.

15. E A says:

AW… congrats on both additions. I used to have a mirror until it broke off my drop bar. Haven’t replaced it yet, but I’m considering it.

Wally is adorable! My latest addition is also fond of trying to jump on my bikes…. as a kitten it’s one thing, but as they grow — then the bikes fall over and it’s just no good. In fact, I had to take the top bike off of my gravity stand after my kitty nearly knocked the top bike off of it several times. Oh well.. the joys of catering to a cat.

16. Carolyn I says:

I think I will get a mirror sometime. Have been debating, but it would be helpful I think. Just not sure if I will get a handlebar or helmet one.

Like the kitten and I see Wally likes bike. ;)

17. Gabriel says: