Perfect Weather

Oma on the way home

Oma on the way home

As much as I love the sun, today’s somewhat stormy and cool weather was perfect for cycling. The storms stopped before my ride home, which meant that the trail was dramatically less crowded than it usually would be (people are easily scared off by the rain) but I did not get wet. The temperature hovered in the low 60’s, which meant that I did not sweat. I had a 16 mph headwind, so I simply popped Oma into 4th gear and took my sweet time. Mmmm, lovely. What is your perfect cycling weather?

Tagged , ,

10 thoughts on “Perfect Weather

1. 40-60 F is my perfect cycling weather, but then I generally prefer cooler climates. I also prefer overcast days with dramatic lighting and shadows to glaringly sunny days. The colours and smells of flowers, grass, trees and water, really seem to intensify. And yes, I love it that the bike paths are so much less crowded on non-sunny days!

The Oma is looking quite the dramatic beauty.The angle of the seating tube is quite something!

2. Braxton says:

Beautiful. How often do you ride Oma as compared to Betty? My wife and I rode Betty Foys (and a couple of others) while we were in Walnut Creek last month. I love Rivendell.

• dottie says:

Thanks. I ride each bike about 50% of the time. For example, this week I rode Betty 4 days to work and Oma 1 day. Last week, I rode Oma 4 days and Betty 1 day. Usually it depends on my mood, sometimes on the weather (Oma is better for rain due to her enclosed chain and brakes). On the weekends I usually take Oma, unless I’m going a long distance or my husband wants to ride faster.

3. Jim says:

Last Sat night a violent weather front came through the Western NY area. Sun morning dawned clear and cool with temps in the low 50’s. My brother and his wife, both long time Fla residents, were here visiting and decided to join me for a Sun morning breakfast ride. I was in a golf shirt and cargo shorts and loving life, they were in cycling tights, long sleeved cycling shirts and jackets and freezing to death. 50’s and 60’s are my perfect cycling temps.

Great shot of Oma, by the way!

4. Trisha says:

I prefer 60s-70s too. We’re having that this weekend — think I’m heading out for a ride to enjoy it in a minute. :)

5. Carolyn I says:

50’s and 60’s. It is definititely much harder biking (or even hiking) when it’s too hot. As long as you keep moving, you keep warm, even in cooler weather. Though I don’t let the heat stop me from cycling to work or do errands. :)

6. Doohickie says:

I get more than enough sunshine here in Texas. My favorite weather is pale overcast. Reminds me of home (I grew up in Buffalo).

7. Sid says:

I thought today was perfect weather for riding around town to get errands done – about 70, mostly sunny and breezy. Had a nice ride down to Paulina Meat Market and Dinkel’s Bakery for some cookout supplies.

8. Jeremy says:

After living in Chicago, I thought the move back down south to North Carolina would be stifling, but I have to say that I don’t mind the humid 90’s that much. Just need a slight breeze for the AC.

9. Ashley says:

That is a really great picture!