Your Cycling Experience Is Requested

Each of us is a wealth of information about cycling in our particular cities. Here are a couple of opportunities to share your unique knowledge to benefit the greater cycling community: the Pedestrian and Bicycle Information Center Image Library and the New York Cycle Club’s Cycling Risk Assessment Study (not limited to New York).

Bike Lane, Madison, WI )from PBIC Image Library)

Bike Lane, Madison, WI (from PBIC Image Library)

Read on for the details.

The Pedestrian and Bicycle Information Center has launched an image library of pedestrian, bike, and commuting photos for open use. The library is open for public submission, and people who submit will be entered into a raffle for various safety related items. Read about it here, and think of submitting and sharing with folks. The library is a searchable collection of free, high-quality images relating to walking and bicycling. Visitors to the site may use the images in any non-commercial projects including web pages, presentations and reports. There are no per-image costs, royalties, or extra payments for the images, but users must adhere to the Usage Guidelines. The two photos featured here are a couple of great pictures I found within seconds.

Look, it's part of my commute in Chicago!  (PBIC Image Library)

Look, it

The other project that needs our experience is the Cycling Risk Assessment Study. The New York Cycle Club is conducting a survey to gather bicycling accident information from a diverse population of cyclists. Anyone may submit one or more bicycling accident survey responses. Whether you had a minor or major accident, or observed one, live in New York or far away. The results of this ongoing world-wide survey will eventually be compiled, analyzed, and published on their website.

Thanks to my super bikey friend Jeremy for this information. I’m so jealous of his new job with the Highway Safety Research Center at my beloved alma mater, the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.

Tagged ,

10 thoughts on “Your Cycling Experience Is Requested

1. Doohickie says:

Jeremy was wise to enlist your assistance. Your blog is widely read and getting more popular all the time. Just as I got to this post, I was kind of thinking that this blog is almost iconic among bicycle blogs.

2. Doohickie says:

Oh… and he also realized that all your blogger friends would spread the word. ;- )

3. Melissa Hope S says:

I did the accident survey for the one I saw by my LBS.

4. Jeremy says:

Thanks, Dot! I did this survey a while back for the one time I got hit (SUV turning right on Estes Dr., Carrboro). I think the survey is noble and ambitious since there’s no good measures yet as to how safe cycling is, especially compared to other modes of transport. So, any significant crash is worthy of an entry. Perhaps Greg has some material?

5. anna says:

Sounds like an interesting project. Besides the safety aspect, it also makes visible how beautiful cycling is compared to sitting in a stinky car (at least these two pictures you choose).

6. Doohickie says:

True… I posted a couple of pictures to the gallery.

7. Doohickie says:

(they currently occupy the first row in the commuter section… the ones taken in Fort Worth.

8. Trisha says:

Such a great project! I hope to have something to contribute.