Me and the Bike and the Morning

Here’s a short video from my morning ride last Thursday. In summer my ride takes place much earlier, and I love the sounds of the birds and the quiet of the street when I am on the road before anyone else (at least, that’s what it feels like). Of course, it all seems much nicer when you can’t feel the humidity!

Other than the sweat factor, does your commute change in the summer?

Tagged , , , , ,

10 thoughts on “Me and the Bike and the Morning

1. Carolyn says:

Mine basically stays the same route, but sometimes, if I am not too tired after work, I take the ‘longer’ way home, as my commute isn’t too long. But I wouldn’t I wouldn’t do that in November. ;)

I love bicycling during this time of year…it doesn’t get humid here, so it is rather quite pleasant.

2. Susan says:

I don’t have to avoid the school zones. On my preferred route, I go through three.

• dottie says:

Do you find that school zones are some of the most dangerous places to ride a bike? The worst part of my city-street route is going by a private school, where every single kid needs to be dropped off by an oblivious parent in an SUV or a car service, for goodness sakes! Unlike the suburbs, there’s not even a parking lot area, so all this madness takes place in the road/bike lane.

3. Sarah says:

I love the birds chirping! Beautiful neighborhood, too.

4. HowardBollixter says:

In summer I’m more inclined to use the busy roads because the shoulders/lanes are clear of snow/sandpiles.

A rivertrail shortcut I use in summer is nice now with redwings going bonkers. Also the odd gnat cloud, ptoo!, ptoo!.

5. Scott says:

It’s getting brutally hot in Chicago. It’s supposed to be over 90 here tomorrow, and I think I am going to take my first bus ride to work this year.

We have beautiful riding weather for much of the year, and few people ride. In the summer, when the heat becomes oppressively bad, the bikes racks are all full. They are doing it all backwards.

6. sara says:

My bike commute is extremely different in the summer because I don’t ride with the same “cargo” ie. two of my sons. I work year-round at a school which they attend (but just during the school year). So I just turned over the bakfiets’ key to my husband, who will be riding them & little brother to camps, & I started my solo commute on our xtracycle. It feels entirely different. I can go much faster, but I miss the good company!

• Trisha says:

That’s a big change! Is it hard to adjust to hauling them again when the school year starts, or do you get enough of it on the weekend to keep in shape?

7. dottie says:

On the way home today, I had to get off and walk my bike three times on the Lakefront Trail! It was so crowded with people walking, hanging out, playing volleyball, rollerblading, being oblivious – super, super crowded. Makes me miss winter, for reals. This kind of thing will make me change my route so I take the city street home. Too bad I hate taking city streets in the evenings because drivers are so much worse than in the mornings. Also, what Scott said – it’s really effing hot.

8. Trisha says:

Yes, it’s quite effing hot at the moment. Very jealous of Carolyn and her fellow Canadians right now!