Bikes in the News

I don’t have cable. My boss teases that I am one of the few people under 70 who will be affected by the digital TV conversion next month (for the record, I’ve been ready since February 2007). This does not affect my life in any major way, but it does explain why, on the few occasions I turn the TV on in the morning, I watch the “news” shows on one of the major networks.

“Today” used to be the default, just because everyone else watches it, but once I found out that Harry Smith rides his bike to work, I decided to switch to CBS’s “Early Show.”

Yesterday morning they had a segment on “choosing the perfect bike.” I think Dottie will be pleased that they chose the Jamis commuter! Since I’m not a road bike aficionado, I was underwhelmed by their other choices, but check it out for yourself. My favorite part was when the lady showing the bikes said that you don’t have to spend thousands, but “the thousands are pretty great, I’m not going to lie.” I’m off to write a letter to the show saying they should have suggested a Batavus.

ETA: I can’t seem to embed the video, but you can watch it here.

Tagged , , ,

10 thoughts on “Bikes in the News

1. dottie says:

The Jamis Commuter is a great bike for people starting out. She has a very reasonable price tag and is fast and comfortable for quick trips. I would immediately replace the saddle and pedals, plus add a rack, kick stand, basket, bell, and lights, of course. She comes with fenders, which is the “commuter” part, I guess. I miss my Janis.

p.s. It’s pretty bad when you get PBS in fuzzy. I’m just sayin’. ;)

2. Trisha says:

You’re right, that’s my one regret. Still not worth $12/month for basic cable! Maybe if I could get it through someone other than the devil company, Comcast, I’d consider it. Thanks to that nifty cable some very thoughtful people got me, I can watch Masterpiece through my computer on my TV (granted, my TV is not much bigger than my computer screen, but at least I get the best of PBS!).

3. Cyclin Missy says:

Great press for bikes! I like the increasing awareness!

I also wanted to commiserate on the TV thing. My hubby and I don’t have cable either. We just use our TV for movies and video games. I used to turn it on with bunny ears to watch the occassional University of Michigan football game, but that won’t happen anymore! The maize and blue will have to go on without me.

4. steve says:

Too bad Harry Smith prefers riding against the flow of traffic, according to his article. Otherwise, it looks like a good segment.

5. 2whls3spds says:

No TV here either…well their is one in the house…somewhere. :-D I get what news I need off the internet/crackberry.

Lots of choices for starting commuters, but not too many are readily available to the masses outside of larger cities, think WM ;-)

Aaron

6. 2whls3spds says:

No TV here either…well there is one in the house…somewhere. :-D I get what news I need off the internet/crackberry.

Aaron

7. Trisha says:

So glad I’m not the only no-cable freak out there.

8. Christa says:

I don’t own a car so I consider it a trade-off. A bike is much much cheaper than any car (plus insurance, time, stress, etc) so it’s okay to invest in a reliable bike.

Thanks for sharing!

9. I’ve got a nice tv, no cable. I just have it for dvd’s. Comcast(They do suck, but nothing else close to that fast, here.) just offered me internet and cable for less than just internet, so I took it. Not that I’ll actually hook the cable up. That stuff turns me into a zombie. Zombie’s don’t ride bikes. Good to see practical uses for bikes displayed on the boob tube. Now, if you can just get them away from the tv.

10. speedyortiz says:

that was a surprisingly good segment for a 4 minute blurb on the benefits of bikes. thanks for the link.

I lived without tv for a dozen or so years and when we first got satellite i did zombie out for a couple days, but after that I got bored and now I watch less than 2 hours a week.