Beautiful Bicycles: Velorbis Dannebrog – Victoria

Way back in January I started a “Beautiful Bicycles” series, wherein I discuss the beautiful bicycles that I came across during my intensive research leading up to purchasing my Azor Oma. Although the first in the series is consistently one of the most viewed posts on this blog, I had yet to do a second in the series. Until now. I present the Velorbis Dannebrog, very similar to the Velorbis Victoria Classic.

5-23 velorbis plate

Earlier this week I briefly discussed the Velorbis Dannebrog in the context of my visit to the new Chicago shop, Copenhagen Cyclery. I decided that this gorgeous bike definitely deserves its own post.

The Velorbis Dannebrog (and the Velorbis Victoria) has all of the accouterments of the Azor Oma and Pashley Princess Sovereign: sprung Brooks saddle, chain case (although Velorbis is not fully enclosed), fenders, dynamo-powered front and rear lights, mud flaps, integrated rear wheel lock, heavy duty kick stand, internal hub gears and brakes, rear rack (Oma also has optional front rack), upright positioning, and bell. She is ready to go!  The only traditional accessory missing is a skirt guard.

My test ride was short and all I can really say is that the ride was smooth and sweet. The Velorbis Dannebrog belongs in the category of heavy and sturdy bike, for sure, which creates that smooth ride. Compared to my Oma, the Velorbis is somewhat diminutive, a difference my husband pointed out when the sales guy easily lifted the Dannebrog back on the pedestal (“You could not have done that with the Oma” – True).

Someone looking for this type of bike should try to test ride both and decide if they favor the extra plush and super solid ride of the Oma or the slightly lighter ride of the Velorbis. In short: Velorbis is a bit more style, Azor Oma is a bit more substance – but certainly the Velorbis is substantive and the Azor Oma is stylish. You really can’t go wrong with either!

And now I will hush and let the Velorbis Dannebrog speak for herself.

velorbis side

velorbis ride

5-23 velorbis chain

5-23 velorbis light

velorbis basket

velorbis rack

velorbis tire

5-23 velorbis side

velorbis angle

Velorbis also makes the Scrap Deluxe, which is more comparable to the funky and impeccably built Retrovelo. Here is a gem that I pulled from the extensive Trisha/Dottie email archive, from July 2008:

I found another bike that is a contender with the Azor Oma – the Velorbis Scrap Deluxe lady’s edition. I’ve seen pictures of the Scrap Deluxe before and thought it was oh my gosh beautiful, but I want a lady’s bike. Lo and Behold, they now make a lady’s edition. Check out this beauty. There’s a video of it on the Copenhagen Cycle Chic blog, which is where I first saw it. Do you know that blog? Oh, it’s so great! It definitely fans the Dutch-bike-desire flames. I’ll probably get the black Oma still, but this bike is simply gorgeous. If I had any sense, I would get a vintage bike from Craigslist, but I never claimed that I had any sense.

Ah, sense. What was I so worried about? I have not regretted for one minute my purchase of a fine new Dutch bike!

Questions? Leave them in the comments and I’d be happy to help!

Tagged , , , , , , , , , ,

28 thoughts on “Beautiful Bicycles: Velorbis Dannebrog – Victoria

1. QM2 says:

I had a chance to try this gorgeous bicycle when the Dutch Bicycle Company in Boston was carrying Velorbis. I thought that the structure and detailing resembled vintage English bicycles more than Dutch, and it also struck me that Velorbis seemed smaller than other bicycles made in this style. So this might be a good brand to consider for women under 5’6″, who sometimes have trouble with Dutch bikes due to sizing. I have not seen the Scrap Deluxe in person, but on the photos it looks amazing!

2. anna says:

I was planning to get the Velorbis Dannebrog myself (as I like the style and especially the red ;-)), but haven’t found a dealer in Vienna yet. On the website I saw that it is rather heavy, and I’m kind of worried that I wouldn’t make it uphill with the 8 gears and if I carry a bag or two (and e.g. using the light as well). I guess it can be done anyway, and I’m in good shape too. But maybe you got some experience riding downhill and uphill? Apart from the color, what’s the difference between the Dannebrog and the Victoria, do you know? Did you try the Victoria too?

• dottie says:

Sorry, there are no hills in Chicago for me to try out, only headwinds and I did not ride the Dannebrog in any of those. The Velorbis is about 5 or 6 pounds lighter than my Oma. If I lived in a real hilly city (I don’t know what Vienna’s like) the Oma would not be my first choice. But Anne Car Free Days rides an Oma in Seattle, a very hilly city. The Velorbis would be a bit easier on hills. Trisha informs me that her Batavus (aluminum frame) is great on hills, so maybe the Velorbis would be more like that.

The only difference I could tell between the Dannebrog and the Victoria is the color of the frame and the tires, but I did not ride the Victoria.

3. Ghost Rider says:

Lord, that IS a beautiful bike…that red absolutely SCREAMS sexy! I love the chrome strips on the fenders…what a great machine. Can I have one?

4. sara says:

Oh– that bike would stop me dead in my tracks if someone rode it on by. Gorgeous. Just gorgeous.

I am intrigued with the heavy, sturdy, city-commute bike vs. lighter and quicker city-commute bike conversation. Of course, since I am a bike commuting mama– my debate each morning is whether we should take our heavy, sturdy Dutch bakfiets or our new lighter and faster xtracycle Radish each day. It’s so fun to have choices!

5. Ellen says:

Off topic but your website got a mention in the Editor’s column in the recent issue of “Bicycling” magazine of bike blogs he follows.

• dottie says:

Really!? That would be a huge pleasant surprise. Must get my paws on one of those magazines today!

[Ah, "Adventure Bicycling" magazine - what an honor!!]

6. Trisha says:

Do you get a discount on your bike insurance for having a red bike? Seems like a safety feature — and a hot one for once.

Ah, sense. Well, it might be a virtue but we wouldn’t be the women we are today if we had any where bikes were concerned.

7. Betty says:

The bike looks amazing!! Love that sharp red color

8. academichic says:

I want this bike!! I’ve emailed my fiance and my parents with very nonchalant emails mentioning that if they wanted to get me a gift, here’s something I’m drooling over! I’m not holding my breath though…

But here’s my question, I tried to price it for the US and couldn’t find any US sites that sell it to see how much it costs. Do you two know how much its going for in the States? Thanks!
    S.

• dottie says:

This bike costs somewhere between $1700 and $2000, I think, depending on whether you get the 3, 5, or 8 speed hub. I know that’s pretty pricey, but a bike like this will last a very, very long time and have little maintenance. My Azor Oma was $1550 and it took me a few months to get over the price tag and buy it. The Batavus Old Dutch is a less than both of them, closer to the $1000-1200 range, I believe. The Electra Amsterdam is well under $1000 but the quality is noticeably lower than these bikes.

9. Brent says:

Thanks for the great review and visit. Just an aside the Velorbis Dannebrog and Victoria Classic come in a larger frame…we just don’t have them in the shop yet (3-4 weeks) and they now have color matched red leather skirt guards for the Dannebrog!

Hope to see you again soon.

-Brent

10. academichic says:

Thanks, Dottie, that helps! It’s kind of what I thought just seeing how much it cost in British Pounds and roughly figuring the conversion. It is pricey but I agree that it’s worth it, so I’m not deterred yet ;)

S.

11. MamaVee says:

nice review. It sure is beautiful. I really want to test ride one someday. The red is hot. Makes me think that I do need a red bike. I go back and forth between bright reds or subtle green/blacks etc. Half of me is bright and crazy and the other half appreicates a simple elegant look. I want it all fun and stylish all at once.

12. grambev says:

That’s a gorgeous bike. I just bought a folding bike from Sears because it was affordable for me. I tried to buy a Dahon on ebay but that didn’t work out. The one I bought is a Jalon, which makes me giggle because it’s trying to be a Dahon. It’s a nice looking bike though and I don’t ride a real lot anyway. Just like to at least ride a few blocks every day for the exercise. Also, I can fold it up and bring it in to Boston on the nearby ferry or on the bus or train. I live is Salem, the witch city, a few miles north of Boston. I was inspired by Dottie and friends to buy one of these. : )

13. My Boston Roadsters can compare to these bikes [$1,450 to $2,050.00], come in 6 sizes [mens and ladies] and can be had in 188 different colors!
    I know that you all have promoted my bikes before [thanks], however have been called too exspensive? I feel my bikes are better built [made in USA] and better equipped too [comes with a front rack too].
    if I could afford it I would send you one to try out!

Sincerely Mike Flanigan

• dottie says:

Hi Mike, If I ever got my paws on one of your bikes, I’d have a hard time giving it back! Your Boston Roadster is def the best bike at an Amazing price (it’s the Light Roadster I wanted but that was out of my budget – still a great price for the product, though). The Boston R is on my list of beautiful bicycles, but since I was so recently scooped by Bikes for the Rest of Us, I figured I’d hold off for a bit :)

14. [...] Beautiful Bicycles: Velorbis Dannebrog – Victoria « Let's Go Ride … [...]

15. Wow – what a beauty! I am very jealous! This bike would be my first pick if I were to choose. Thank you for this marvellous find!

16. [...] a “younger” and more affordable version of the Velorbis Classic bikes (which I reviewed here). The differences are subtle – fewer gears, painted rims and no lights or leather [...]

17. sandy says:

I am very interested in this bike but I’m worried it might be too big for me. I am 5’2″ and have a 69 cm/27″ inseam. Does anyone know if it would fit me? The closest place I can get the bike to try it is Chicago and I live in Ames, Iowa (6 hours) so I hate to drive that far if it is too big. Thanks in advance for your help!

18. Sage says:

I have a Pashley Princess Sovereign and I’m planning to add to my fleet. The Velorbis Dannebrog is a strong contender.

Can you comment on how the quality/construction compares to the Pashley?

Thanks!

• Dottie says:

I would say the quality of construction is very similar to the Pashley. Maybe the Pash is a tiny bit more solid, but that might be a bias based on its long history. The Velorbis has bigger wheels, which I greatly prefer.

p.s. Check out our updated site, http://letsgorideabike.com.

19. [...] Let’s Go Ride A Bike (Velorbis Dannebrog) [...]

20. [...] a “younger” and more affordable version of the Velorbis Classic bikes (which I reviewed here). The differences are subtle – fewer gears, painted rims and no lights or leather [...]

21. Bethany says:

Mine just came in and I love it! My 50th birthday present, I call it my mid-life cri-cycle. I chose the Velorbis over a heavier Dutch bike since we have plenty of hills in Kansas City. The flat lands everyone thinks of don’t start for another 200 miles or so. And who wouldn’t fall for the color. I just had to have it!

This bike is the most comfortable bike I ever ridden. It leaves simply no excuse in my mind for not riding a bike, as long as you have two legs that move. I look forward to the day when bike stores everywhere have these bikes. Until then, I give high marks to My Dutch Bike in San Francisco, where I bought my Velorbis.

I ride 4 miles each way to work and park it in the administrative area of my office. I found a lovely back street route. I’m proactive with the bell–people backing out don’t always see me–and take my lane. So far so good.

Thanks, Dottie, for introducing me to Dutch bikes, and transportation biking. I started following your blog after I read about you in Yes! Magazine.

22. LGRAB says:

Mid-life cri-cycle – I love it!!! Thanks so much, Bethany, for sharing your story with us. I wish you and your Velorbis many happy years together. :) If you ever want to email in an update and pic, I’d be all about sharing it here.

23. Bethany says:

Here I am on my Velorbis today. I LOVE biking to work. I’m finally getting the amount of exercise I need to feel really good. Plus, I arrive to work energized and then totally unwind from the day as I ride home. If this is a mid-life crisis, bring it on!

BTW, I took my Trek to the basement today. I thought I’d keep it around for days when I didn’t ride to work, but that just doesn’t seem necessary. I think I want to sell it, but I’ll keep it until spring, just to be sure.