Beautiful Day For A Root Canal

The city today was beautiful from the bike saddle. I rode to work as usual, rode to the endodontist for a root canal, rode to CVS to get Vicodin, and finally rode home. Yup, my seemingly innocent crash last week during the Tweed Ride led to a root canal. My chipped teeth did not start hurting until Sunday. I got them patched by my regular dentist yesterday and now they look better than new, but the pain did not go away. Turns out the force of the impact damaged a nerve that would never heal, so now the nerves are all ripped out. Fun!

Betty Foy in Grant Park

Betty Foy in Grant Park

Some might think riding my bike to the dentist to repair injuries from a bike accident is kinda weird, but how else would I get there? Taking public transit would have been hell. At least on my bike I’m distracted from the pain :) And the gorgeous weather and refreshing bike rides really did make the day a tiny bit better.

Chicago Skyline from Lakefront Trail

Chicago Skyline from Lakefront Trail
Sailboat!

Sailboat!

Lincoln Park

Lincoln Park

Keep the rubber side down and always remember to wear your mouth guard (kidding)!

Tagged , , , , ,

16 thoughts on “Beautiful Day For A Root Canal

1. Erich says:

I envy your views, though I finally got to commute along our local Rivertrail today again, which was a nice change of pace from the awful rutted streets. Is Betty treating you well?

Glad to hear you’re all taken care of, and chipped teeth and a root canal means you’ll have a great story.

2. Hi great post , That must have been really painful ! Anyway good luck and keep riding your bike!

3. ann says:

I tried to ride once after a root canal. Took a good twenty miles or more before I realized the road vibrations were killing me! I went home and got on the vicadin for a week. It was a really bad week. I hope your recovery is better than mine was.

4. anna says:

Poor you. I had a root canal once. No big deal, but still nothing one is looking forward to..

5. Trisha says:

Beautiful pictures! Sorry you had to have the root canal after all — was really hoping you would be able to avoid it. Of course, now that you have no nerves there, you can fall as much as you want, right?

6. Academichic says:

Hey, thanks for stopping by and your nice message! I will post a picture of my first heeled biking attempt as soon as it happens :)

Sorry to hear about the root canal! I was actually thinking about your accident post when I crossed train tracks the other day. I’m a runner and I’ve gotten injured while running before and my running partner even more so, and it’s NEVER stopped us from loving running or training for a race as soon as possible after an injury, so I totally understand the getting right back on your bike and riding to the dentist’s office. Hope you’re feeling better!

S.

7. Tinker says:

That sort of accident is quite prevalent in motorcycling. Maybe we need to switch to full face helmets for bicyclists, for improved safety? After all, if a cheap helmet can safe you from a single root canal, its worth it, right? ($$$ costs alone, never mind pain and suffering.)

Anyway, sorry about your fall, I have had root canals that were more hideous/painful/complicated than usual, and no way I wanted to ride a bike home from that, you are obviously made from sterner stuff than I.

I did, however, ride my motorcycle home from my vasectomy. Same sort of thing, I had no other means of transport at the time, I picked up the kids at daycare on my motorcycle, all the time and went home. Simple and not all that painful.

8. Tad Salyards says:

You are freaking hardcore as always, Dottie!

I hope Tinker is kidding about full-face-mask helmets for biking. We need less bubble wrap in this country, not more.

9. Ouch! I’m a big wimp when it comes to that kind of pain.

The riding while in pain, reminds me of the time(a long time ago!), when I woke up at my friends house after a night of partying, with an extreme hangover. I had a strong urge to puke, but I would always go to great extreme to avoid that. I was a good 8 miles from home and wondering how I would be able to bike all that way without throwing up. The idea came to me that I should try and practice that Zen Buddhist stuff I’d been reading about “dropping everything and just being in the moment”. Well, it worked. Everytime the nausea started to well up, I would jump into to moment. The nausea would diminish. I realized that the nausea was a cumlative sensation and that by dropping in to moment, I was breaking that wave. In each moment, nausea wasn’t so bad.

10. You’re so hardcore! Get better!

11. sara says:

Bummer. Sorry about the pain (and the expense), but do love that you rode to the dentist.

12. Carolyn says:

Sorry about your teeth! But I’d do the same, ride to the dentist. What gorgeous days there!

13. Scott says:

Oh man, I’ve been there. I rode home after having a tooth extracted last year (still have the gap but no one can see it). What are you going to do? Taking the bus with all the schlubs isn’t going to make your tooth hurt less!

14. meligrosa says:

betty rocks!!! such an adorable set of pics dottie

15. [...] tracks – I am intimately familiar with this.  Danger:  Your tire can get caught in the tracks, or slip off wet or gravely tracks.  [...]

16. [...] tracks – I am intimately familiar with this.  Danger:  Your tire can get caught in the tracks, or slip off wet or gravely tracks.  [...]