Batavus Day Is Finally Here!

Dottie and I made it all the way to Littlehampton today and picked up my bike. Paul and the folks at the Littlehampton Dutch Bike Co. were as helpful and friendly in person as they’d been over email, and we were able to take a little ride around the town — once we figured out what side of the street we were supposed to be on, it went well. (Luckily we didn’t have to go through any roundabouts!) My Batavus had a lot of details that I didn’t notice online, like the reflective tape on the fenders that makes them look like they are hammered, and the whimsical abstract details on the tube. Oh yeah, and the ride is pretty smooth, too.

Can you tell I'm excited?

Can you tell I'm excited?

More pictures, anyone?

Where's the shop again?Finding our way to the shop

Testing my Batavus legs

Testing my Batavus legs

And...we're off!
And…we’re off!
What side of the road are we supposed to be on again?

What side of the road are we supposed to be on again?

Bikes by the sea

Biking by the sea.

Tagged , , , , ,

22 thoughts on “Batavus Day Is Finally Here!

1. Allison says:

Loving it Trisha! You look so natural on it. Do you have a mega lock for it yet? It looks like it needs it’s own garage!

2. Mr. Dottie says:

I’m so jealous. Congrats Trisha!

3. stylocycle says:

Lovely! Enjoy. I am truly besotted with my Batavus Old Dutch. The freedom, the ride, the efficiency and elegance… the best bike I will ever own.

4. Suh-weet! Great bike!

5. Carolyn says:

Oh, I so love it! Congrats on new bike.

Looks like you had a nice day to ride the bike.

6. Lynn says:

Great photos, awesome bike (love the chain guard!), and you two look chic as always.

7. MamaVee says:

beautiful bike!

8. dadabean says:

You look good on it. Hope LePeug doesn’t get too jealous!

9. Karen says:

I love it! Bike envy! Bob and I are going to Portland, Oregon next week for a long weekend and will rent Dutch Bikes from Clever Cyles. I’m so excited! Happy riding.

10. Diana says:

Love the new bike! It must be extra fun to get to bike somewhere like that :)

11. That’s a slick bike. I like that detail on the back of the chain guard.

12. mtblawgirl says:

She’s a real beauty!

13. Jennie says:

Congrats Trish! She looks great! I know you lovely ladies are having an awesome time!

14. tsalyards says:

Welcome to the “Dutch bike club!” Looks like a great trip.

15. You will love it more each day. I know I do with mine. One bit of advice- get rid of the crappy bell they put on (mine was terrible), these bikes deserve brass Crane Bells!

16. anna says:

Lovely pictures. Have a lot of fun with your new bike!

17. [...] may recall my riding the Batavus in England and then heading off to Russia. Since I wasn’t going back via the UK, there was no way I [...]

18. jessebaquera says:

heo i just got a 1978 batavus regency does the cycle need 2-cycle oil thank-you

19. Andrew says:

Congrats on the occasion of you’re new bicycle I’m sure you will enjoy this bike as much as I do mine.
    After a year I still get a little thrill cyling it.
    You’re electric blue bike is kinda cool and a timeless, stylish, classic. Good luck and enjoy

20. [...] than the increase in the rise of affordable city bikes available in North America. When I bought my Batavus in 2009, I went all the way to England to get it, because Batavus bikes were only sold by a few North [...]