Weather Woes

Hillsboro Flash Flood
Originally uploaded by Joshua Stafford

Not sure if the rest of the continent (or world, for you non-North Americans!) is feeling this, but instead of coming in like a lamb, and going out like a lion, March decided to keep us on our toes by giving us half a dozen of one and six of the other just about every twelve days. So far, April is proving equally indecisive. Last week, the weather alternated between cool, rainy days, and warm sunny days, culminating in a deluge on Thursday that turned spawned a tornado on Nolensville Road and turned Hillsboro Road into a river, as this local Flickr user video documents.

Not a fun day for that poor barista! Fido is one of my favorite coffee shops.

I did bike home after the worst had passed, but still ended up getting pretty soaked. Here’s an example of the type of “debris” that ended up in the bike lane.

Had to be a lot of water to carry that out into the street...

Had to be a lot of water to carry that out into the street...

Since I didn’t have to worry about looking presentable, splashing through puddles was kind of fun. Some of them were pretty deep, and I had to take my feet off the pedals a few times and lift my legs up high in hopes of sparing my shoes the worst of it.

Poor, bedraggled me.

Poor, bedraggled me.

For the weekend, we were back to beautiful weather in the high 60s, low 70s, a bicyclist’s dream. And then I woke up this morning to freezing rain and temps in the high 30s.

Minnie doesn't like rain much either.

Minnie doesn't like rain much either.

I’m consoling myself with the thought that at this rate, the weather in St. Petersburg might seem downright balmy.

In the meantime, the blog should see some sassy spring-like action when Dottie reveals her lovely new Betty Foy tonight or tomorrow. I’m keeping my fingers crossed for a video.

Tagged , , , ,

8 thoughts on “Weather Woes

1. Carolyn says:

Wacky weather here too. Although, it’s beginning to look promising. It is 50 f right now, which seems balmy compared to the low of 12 on Sat Morning. And there’s no white stuff coming from skies!! But, I don’t trust it yet, not till May. LOL!!

2. dottie says:

Yeah, it rained so hard the other day, there were several delivery trucks washed into the bike lanes – crazy!

That video of Hillsboro Road is wild. Love the bedraggled look! Give that weather a piece of your mind.

3. Elisa M says:

oh my goodness…I can relate. last week it rained half the week, sunny and warm Saturday…warm and rainy Sunday. today I woke up and my ride in was…ok. Then I went to leave and it was 44 degrees, crazy windy and drizzly. wtf?! now it is 35 degrees and I am pulling out my winter jersey for tomorrow’s commute.

Come wed it is supposed to straighten itself out…I am hopeful!

you are adorable, even bedraggled

4. anna says:

The weather in Austria is lovely. Don’t worry, spring will come back. I’ll keep my fingers crossed.

5. Justin says:

I’m biking to work with temps in the mid-40’s and biking home with temps in the mid-80’s. Hang in there Trisha!

6. John says:

Crazy video. However, maybe instead of laughing at the poor lady trying to minimize damage to her shop, the two should have gone over and helped her.

7. Jennie says:

I hear you Trish. Not much better in B’ham. I went on a very nice and hot canoe trip on Saturday only to wake up this morning at 36 degrees. Not cool. Hope the weather treats you nice while visiting Russia!!

8. sara says:

It’s rained up here as well. I took the bakfiets with the weather tent to school yesterday in the morning, but when it was time to go home it was just pouring & I wasn’t sure how the boys would do in the box. My hubs took one for the team– dropped off the car for me & the guys, & while we went to pick up son#3 at his school, P rode the baks home in the downpour. One of my fellas complained the whole time that he would have rather have been on the bike….