Thanks Copenhagen Cycle Chic!

What a wonderful way to start the day – seeing Let’s Go Ride a Bike on style website extraordinaire Copenhagen Cycle Chic.

dot-trisha

Trisha and I are working on Copenhagenizing Nashville and Chicago, one bike ride at a time. Using a bike for transportation is easy as pie and can be done by almost anyone – without a great level of physical fitness, death wish, fancy bikes, or expensive gear. So why don’t more Americans do it? The greatest obstacle is that most Americans simply don’t know this. We have few examples to follow.

That’s why Copenhagen Cycle Chic is so important. Images from the other side of the world work their way instantly to America and provide a radically different perspective on how to use bikes. Although the images portray the ordinary, every day lives of Copenhageners, the ideas they present to Americans are revolutionary. The more people see them, the more they understand: there is another, better way of living. And “hey city government, why aren’t you helping me use public spaces in a more peaceful and safe manner?” And “yo federal government, how about performing some legislative acrobatics to ensure that federal highway money induces states to address alternative transportation needs?” Because only when our streets are safer for cyclists – both subjectively and objectively – will any true Copenhagenizing be possible. Until then, look out for Trisha and me – we’ll be the-easy-to-spot odd birds, cycling around in dresses and high boots.

Let’s Go Ride a Bike loves you :)

Tagged , ,

13 thoughts on “Thanks Copenhagen Cycle Chic!

1. Trisha says:

Ooh!! Copenhagen Cycling Chic and Bike Commuters in one week. I think we’ve made it Dottie. :) Mostly due to your stylishness of course! That cocktail dress was killer.

2. Elisa M says:

I love CCC. The first time Bike Skirt was mentioned I squealed at work and thought “we have arrived baby!!!”.

if only I could pull of those cute dresses, leggings, boots and helmetless looks so effortlessly.

dottie-you looked SWANK.

3. anna says:

Congrats. You’re on the right track, for sure. Set an example and people will follow. Slowly, but they will. If you can convice decision makers, even better.

4. tsalyards says:

If you would only ditch those very non-chic helmets you’d be Copenhagen all around :) You’ve got to be sick of me railing on the helmets by now.

5. matt says:

This blog’s great!! Thanks :).

6. MelissaHopeS says:

Man, once I move closer to my work, I am there!

7. mikael says:

Copenhagen loves you!

8. And every dollar spent on bike infrastructure, pays health dividends.

You don’t see a lot of fatties in Copenhagen…

9. Carolyn says:

I think that it’s neat that you are so dressed up when you bike. One doesn’t need to spend money on lycra to get around town. I am not really a skirt kind of person, but I think it’s cool. Too bad I don’t see any chic cyclists here in town, yet.

10. Carlito says:

Hi..
    nice bike, great picture and location, me too go on bike commute here in Manila Phils., but mostly men
    hope that my co office girl love on biking like what you did..

11. melanie says:

I was so happy to find your site via CCC! Kudos to you for being so consistent. That site persuaded me to get a lovely Dutch bike over a year ago. It is such a nice way to live! I am always glad when they post pictures of Americans who are on the same mission to spread classy-bicycling-love to the world.

12. Ina says:

Don´t forget…

copenhagen cycle chic is a political blog

or better, a political Message