Cargo Bike!

I might have to cede that “cycling with style” title (though we all know it’s Ms. D who brings the class to this here blog) after today. With just a few hot pink cable ties from the Dollar Tree and an old crate from my hall closet, Le Peug was transformed into a cargo bike. And I think he might stay that way for a while, because I’m loving the new functionality.

Le Peug as pack horse

Le Peug as pack mule

I don’t think Dottie will mind though because beneath my lunch, the office Kindle and my purse lurks the real reason I needed the crate: a package destined for Chicago. Brought to you partially by bike. ;)

Tagged , ,

12 thoughts on “Cargo Bike!

1. dottie says:

I love milk crates strapped to bikes! Especially with pink ties, plus it matches your bike. Okay, now the guessing game begins: cupcakes?! um, Bonga Java?! country music?! What else do y’all have down there; I don’t remember.

I still need to mail your strappies. I’m so bad. But you should have received your Russian visa today!

2. anna says:

I think it doesn’t look that bad. And it’s practical too. Cycling is also about simplicity ;-).

3. Trisha says:

Yeah, I was being a bit tongue-in-cheek. It’s no Amish basket or Basil panniers but it is elegant in its simplicity. There are many different kinds of style. ;) I’m certainly not embarrassed to have a crate on my bike (and I know D wouldn’t be either).

anna you’re so right about cycling! One of the things I love about it.

Ms. D, you are just going to have to wait and see, though your guesses included one thing that is in the package and one thing I should have thought to include. Ha. You’ll find out tomorrow.

4. Charlotte says:

I support the milk crate bike 100%. Especially if it matches. You nailed it – elegant in its simplicity.

Russian visas?! I wrote to my long lost pen-pal in Moscow hoping for one of those when I was in Helsinki. It’s been my childhood dream to get to St. Petersburg and see the ballet. Someday it will work out for me…

5. Trisha says:

Yes, we’re ready to go to St. Petersburg next month! Seeing that city is one of my childhood dreams, too, mostly for the history (I find Peter the Great fascinating).

6. Johnny says:

Crates!! I have two crates I switch out: a big red one and a sawed-off black one. Your white one is awesome, IMO. :)

7. Elisa M says:

I have a crate that I am going to put Mick Jagger and I am glad to know that it works! Mine is bright pink. Anyway you can take a photo of how you attached it and send it my way…also, is your rack a seat post rack or does it attach to the hub? Mine is seatpost only, so it doesn’t feel as sturdy. We’ll see…
    Yeah DIY cargo bikes!

8. Johnny says:

Bright pink crate? OMG. That’s awesome:)
    I’ll kill for a neon orange one:)

9. Trisha says:

Johnny, thanks! A sawed off one sounds like a good idea. I guess it ends up as more of a shallow basket?

Elisa, I’ll take another pic tonight, but I just put the pink cable ties through the rack and the bottom of the crate, two on each side. My rack also attaches at the hub. Is your rack metal, or plastic? A metal rack it might be sturdy enough to carry a crate with some light stuff in it but a plastic one would make me nervous. I never carried more than 10 pounds on the black plastic seat-post only rack I had on Pinkie.

10. Elisa M says:

Mine is metal and can hold up to 25 lbs. I have been just bungee cord attaching my bag to the rack, but would rather not have to squish my handbag!

11. sara says:

I love seeing crates on bikes. You see a number here in New Haven– I think they belong to the academic types who need those crates to help tote around some heavy reading/research. Seriously, though, I think crates give bikes wonderful character.

Thanks for the notice of my pink t’s for boys. It’s not about making money for me– I just want a generation of little fellas running around in pink! My boys love their pink and why not?!

12. Carolyn says:

That’s so handy! Looks good. I found a cheap basket at a store, metal, but sturdy enough and I bunjeed it to rack..works like a charm!!