Bargain Hunting in the Blood

One of my favorite things to do on the weekends these days is make the rounds of the neighborhood shops on my bike. It’s never a long ride — 4 miles roundtrip, max — but it’s relaxing, and going on Le Peug keeps me from buying too much. I especially like visiting the thrift and antique stores in the area since I’m always looking for a bargain.

Yesterday my mom left a comment that proves this runs in the family:

I live in Anniston, AL and decided this would be a day of “firsts” for me. I took my first bike ride in about 20 years and I’m now writing my first blog ever!
After receiving a bike for my birthday last week, I took a short ride (about 1.5-2 miles) with a yard sale as my destination. The yard sale was a total bust, but the bike ride was great! My legs did feel pretty wobbly after the final incline to our driveway though (it was a breeze going down). I never did figure out how to shift, but will work on that for my next ride. :)
By the way, I’m Trisha’s Mom and very proud of her commitment to cycling!
I hope my legs don’t hurt too much tomorrow!

My mom's new bike

My mom's new bike

I think mom needs a rear rack or basket next so she can haul some major yard sale bounty home this summer. I’m so happy that she got a bike so we can go on some rides as a family when I go home for a visit. (My dad already has a bike).

Some pics of mine from various errands this week:

No bike rack? No problem?

No bike rack? No problem?

Well, not a big problem, anyway. Outside the  Cat Shoppe on an errand to pick up a new collar for Willie, I just fastened my rear wheel to the frame a la Sheldon Brown and looped the cord through the front wheel. Unless someone picks up my bike and plops it in a van, they’re not going anywhere. Of course, I would still prefer a bike rack or at least a railing. Maybe one day.

Cats can't read.

Cats can't read.

We have a Goodwill Outlet!

We have a Goodwill Outlet!

I actually emailed this to my mom because I knew she’d be excited too.  It just opened yesterday. Cheaper than Goodwill? A guy inside saw me carrying my helmet and asked me what kind of bike I rode. When I said “a Peugeot” he looked blank — and I realized that once again, someone had mistaken me for a motorcyclist.

My favorite area store, Pre- to Post-Modern.

My favorite area store, Pre- to Post-Modern.

I have my eye on a martini set in here. They’ve got amazing prices on cute home accessories from the 60s and 70s.

This is one of the best things about cycling — it lets you realize how much you have close to home.

Tagged , ,

8 thoughts on “Bargain Hunting in the Blood

1. dottie says:

Your mom is so sweet! That’s a great story! Her getting a bike and straight away riding for transportation is awesome. Another like mother-like daughter observation: you both have your seats set to the lowest possible position ;)

A Goodwill outlet? This we’ll have to visit the next time I’m in Nashville. Love the crazy cat.

2. Allison says:

Your mom rocks!!! I too would like to get a bike as soon as my healing starts. Wes and I have talked about it. Hmmmm….maybe I should rent one for a while just to see if I can even ride anymore. If not bike, we want to get committed to something, and, not the looney bin!

3. anna says:

It’s great that your mum starts cycling again after so many years. I hope that she will have a lot of fun with her new bicycle.

By the way, it’s interesting what you say about shopping and cycling and that you won’t buy so much than. Well, as I don’t even have a basket, I have to fit everything in my backpack. Actually, quite a lot fits in there. But it also happened that I bought too much and then walked my bike home. I think that’s not so bad at all, cause I can hang all the shopping bags on the handlebar and just walk the bike. But I’d also like to get one of those trolleys for bikes: http://www.velojournal.ch/CMS/content/view/915

4. susancyclist says:

Excellent on your mom.

BTW, the cat can read. She just doesn’t care. ;)

5. Jennie says:

Trish! Send me your moms blog! That is so awesome!
    I bet all the stuff I give to the goodwill goes to the clearence store automatically ;)

6. Trisha says:

You’re right, Dottie, short legs run in the family too!

Anna, I am impressed that you are coordinated enough to hang bags on your handlebars! I can do it sometimes but it really depends on what I’m carrying — bigger or heavier stuff just won’t work.

Susan, you are right about the cat. :)

And Jen, I wish my mom had a blog! But she just left the comment on my last post. Baby steps!

7. Great site this letsgorideabike.wordpress.com and I am really pleased to see you have what I am actually looking for here and this this post is exactly what I am interested in. I shall be pleased to become a regular visitor :)

8. grambev says:

Great to see she’s joined the bike riding gang!