When It Don’t Come Easy…and When It Does

I haven’t posted much about my commute in the past few weeks, because, frankly, it’s been rather miserable. There were no March lions for Nashville; instead, the month snuck in under dense, foggy cloud cover, and last week especially was one big grey mizzle. Cycling really felt like work, especially on Sunday, when I biked to brunch in 50-degree, overcast humidity.

Just when I thought we might never see the sun again, Monday afternoon it appeared. And the last two days have been glorious. Brisk but sunny mornings in the 40s, afternoons in the high 60s and low 70s. This morning I beat my record time to work, getting here in only 10 minutes, and both days I just played on my bike, shifting my center of gravity slightly to make the bike “dance,” swinging my legs as I slowed down for stop signs or lights. A thunderstorm is predicted for tomorrow and hot, humid summer is right around the corner, but for now I’m happy to take it one day at a time.

Heading out this morning, another beautiful day

Heading out this morning, another beautiful day

15 thoughts on “When It Don’t Come Easy…and When It Does

1. Diana says:

Hi, I’ve been lurking for awhile, and I love your blog. I wanted to know, do you usually bike in heels? Is it comfortable? I usually tend to wear flats when I ride, and then change into heels when I get to my destination. Mostly I feel like it’s good to always be ready to run when riding, because my boyfriend had to run to escape attackers who stole his bike once.

2. CJ says:

I was impressed by your biking to brunch in a cowl neck sweater! Can’t wait to get my own bike …

3. Charlotte says:

Great to see the white mixte out and about!

4. Trisha says:

Hi Diana, glad you spoke up! I probably bike in heels half the time. It is just as comfortable to me, though when I first started cycling and would pedal in heels, I got stuck a couple of times. Scary story about your boyfriend! I hope he was OK. Honestly, though it could happen, that isn’t something I worry about much where I live — it is more likely that someone would attack me for my car than my bike in Nashville (maybe I should stop wearing heels while driving).

CJ, I was SO regretting that sweater by the time I got to brunch. :) Mmm, Fido. Might have to walk there now.

5. anna says:

Oh, you’re so lucky! I can’t wait to cycle in a T-shirt, still wearing my gloves (although I stopped wearing a cap this week :-)).

6. Jennie says:

Looking Good Trish! I LOVE that you are always sporting the heels!

7. Jennie says:

Also – Are you going to get Kristi on a bike this week while she is visiting? I want a post about that!

8. Allison says:

Yes, get K on the bike!!!

And, seriously, I love the heels too!

9. Trisha says:

anna, I hope you’ll be able to give up your gloves soon!

Jen & Ali, K already left, I’m so sad! Closest I could get her to a bike was taking these pics; I don’t have an extra one yet. Next time for sure.

10. Carolyn says:

50-70 degrees? Wow, that’s balmy. Up here in Canada it’s cold still, high of 42 here. Brrrrr. Though, compared to -25, it’s balmy. Is that real green grass I see? Lots of snow here still, and it could still snow some mornings for a while. But I’ve been trudging through it, hoping that there’s Spring at the end of the tunnel. ;)

11. dottie says:

Was the title inspired by the Patty Griffin lyrics?

Beautiful picture!! I’m glad the mizzle is gone.

12. Trisha says:

Patty Griffin is always an inspiration. :) You spotted it!

Sending warm air your way, Carolyn.

13. Carolyn says:

Hey, I made a goal of biking 100 kms or more (63 miles) before Spring, and I did it! I made 104.6 kms total today since I got bike almost a month ago, and it’s still winter here. LOL!! Actually it’s prob more like 114 or so, since I bought the odometer a week after I bought bike.

14. Karen says:

I used to live in Louisville, and though I do miss it, the humidity can be such a pain. You look so cute on your bike by the way.

15. Dot Ping says:

I live in Anniston, AL and decided this would be a day of “firsts” for me. I took my first bike ride in about 20 years and I’m now writing my first blog ever!
    After receiving a bike for my birthday last week, I took a short ride (about 1.5-2 miles) with a yard sale as my destination. The yard sale was a total bust, but the bike ride was great! My legs did feel pretty wobbly after the final incline to our driveway though (it was a breeze going down). I never did figure out how to shift, but will work on that for my next ride. :)
    By the way, I’m Trisha’s Mom and very proud of her commitment to cycling!
    I hope my legs don’t hurt too much tomorrow!