Spring Cleaning

Spring is here for real! Time to swap out the Schwalbe Marathon Winter studded tires for the good ol’ regular tires and clean up the nasty snow grit. On Saturday I spent a couple of hours with my garage set up as a temporary workshop to accomplish these tasks.

Riding Smurfette

Riding Smurfette

While my husband changed his tires, I installed the Wald basket and Planet Bike rack on Smurfette. Now everything is set up – except the bell. I don’t want just any bell and have been trolling eBay for something vintage. I think Smurfette now looks quite snazzy!

I love the Wald basket – nice and big. Another plus is that it does not cover the Kabuki headbadge. I put it at a rakish angle for some attitude. The small lights are Knog Bullfrogs, bright LEDs with multiple blinking speeds that are sleek and don’t need to be mounted.

Pimped Out Commuter Kabuki

Pimped Out Commuter Kabuki

I have not ridden Smurfette all week because on Monday morning, the air pump ripped out the valve and the tire flattened instantly. A quick trip to the local bike shop was necessary for a new 26 inch tube because I had only 700c tubes laying around. Monday I should be able to ride Smurfette to work for the first time, now that she is all commutered-out.

Temporary Workshop

Temporary Workshop

Speaking of my garage – good news for me! My upstairs neighbor and I finalized a deal for her to rent my garage parking space now that I no longer own a car. I’m giving it to her at a great price since it’s no skin off my back – she bought a Smart car, so there will still be plenty of room for my collection of bikes. A check for a year’s worth of parking is coming, half of which is going straight to my bike fund. This means my bike fund is at optimal level to make a purchase, although I may not do so for a couple of months. Stay tuned for details :)

Tagged , , , , , , , , ,

11 thoughts on “Spring Cleaning

1. Carolyn says:

Oh, Smurfette is so beautiful!! :)

2. What? You rented out my garage space!!! No! Just kidding. Bike funds are always good!

3. Lynn says:

Looks great! I’m sure Mr. Kabuki Face appreciates the breathing room.
    For me, spring won’t be here until our neighbor finally gets his big ol’ snowblower out of our garage, which will give our bikes a little breathing room. (Give me a shovel any day!)

4. chiara says:

there is a small company in montreal called lucky cat bells… one would look great on smurfette… however they are hard to find.. i picked mine up at a one of a kind arts and crafts show… thanks for dropping by.

5. You have her looking great. That’s a serious basket. Cool that you can see the head badge. I can’t wait to hear about what kind of commuter she is.

6. dottie says:

Love those bell suggestions! I wonder how I could find a lucky cat bell; those are awesome looking.

7. Trisha says:

I have been meaning to post about my lights like that — they’re Frog though, not Knog, and have only one light. I really like them though! Very clean and stylish.

8. doohickie says:

Renting out your spot for a Smart Car is a win-win situation!

9. Andrew says:

Another good bell provider is Velo Orange. http://www.velo-orange.com/

The stem mounted japanese bell has a lovely loud tone and doesn’t clutter up the handlebars. I have used them to piece by piece slow down my beautiful cyclocross racing frame. I had to retire the racing days, but could NOT part with a trusted and much loved frame, despite the nickel sized dents in the top tube. (Car Door) Now I can poke along down Halstead as slow as I please, laughing at the dropbars and fixies falling over at stop lights. Upright is alright.