Handmade Bicycles – oooooh, aaaaah

Trisha and I considered going to the North American Handmade Bicycle Show, meeting in Indianapolis as a midpoint between Nashville and Chicago. I especially wanted to ogle A.N.T. bikes. Trisha’s visit to Chicago last weekend made the traveling less desirable and we gave up on the idea. We can still attend virtually, though, via the photos on the website. Here are my favorites:

Bilenky Cycle Works – Philadelphia, PA

Bilenky Mixte

Bilenky Mixte

M.A.P. Bicycles – Portland, OR

M.A.P. Mixte

M.A.P. Mixte

And, of course, A.N.T. – Holliston, MA

ANT Roadster

ANT Roadster

I have a bias for step through frames, obviously. Every one of the bikes showcased in the pictures is a bike style I love. Yet these types of bikes are pretty much impossible to find on the regular market – not even knock offs. What’s up with that? (as, I’ve been told, Trisha’s grandpa would say) Any other favorites out there?

Tagged

10 thoughts on “Handmade Bicycles – oooooh, aaaaah

1. Keith says:

Those are all beautiful bikes, but there’s something about ANT bikes that really push my buttons. WANT!

2. anna says:

Wow, these bikes are so cool. You can see how much love and effort people put in them.

3. gorgeous! i wonder if they have any more step-throughs.

i wonder how much a MAP bike costs?

4. Trisha says:

You made me laugh out loud. I have to make sure Gramps sees this post. He’s the best. Anyway, I love step-throughs too. After looking at some of the pics from the show last night I almost called you this morning to see if you were sure you didn’t want to stage a last-minute meetup! The curves on that white mixte are just gorgeous.

5. Erich says:

That ANT reminds me a lot of my wife’s old Schwinn Suburban a lot. http://is.gd/lmcR

It’s a wonderful bike, really heavy, but man is it smooth. Wish it had a nice front rack like that, but even as it is, it’s a helluva Sunday afternoon bike.

I was going to go to the NAHBS myself, but unfortunately had to work every day. Boo!

6. Elisa M says:

That bilenky has been on my mind every day since I spied it on another blog. I NEED it.

7. Dave says:

These types of bikes are only impossible to find on the regular market in the US, because most US bike manufacturers view cycling as a *sport*, not as a daily means of transportation. Have you seen the Electra Amsterdam though? These types of bikes are the most popular types in places where cycling is simply an everyday means of transportation, because they are practical and useful for just that purpose.

I hear the bike from Portland won best city bike award :)

8. Don’t miss Ken Thiessen’s road test of the astonishing Renovo Wooden Bicycle here: http://bikesocial.blogspot.com/

If there is a more gorgeous bike out there, I haven’t seen it.

9. […] Long-time listeners may remember my first steps to finding a bike to replace my stolen Jamis. I oggled bikes the I could not afford, such as ANTs and MAPs. I encountered annoying bike shop guys. I […]