“You’re the Reason Our Kids Are Ugly”

We moved to Alabama from Minnesota when I was a kid. It would have been less of a culture shock to move to Canada. Among the many things I found different about Alabama, aside from the sometimes incomprehensible accents and inability to call pop of any variety anything but “Coke,” was the more formal way everyone dressed, especially for school and church. Mothers and grandmothers were always in full makeup, perfectly coiffed, with their daughters  sporting huge hairbows and the equally huge bangs so popular during the early 90s. The one exception to this rule seemed to be the grocery store, where you’d occasionally bump into those same women, especially the grandmothers, wearing curlers under a brightly covered scarf to pick up a gallon of milk. This was a sight you’d never see up north—whatever primping Midwesterners did happened in the privacy of the home. Not so in the South, where tempers, opinions and, apparently, hairstyling techniques, were never kept hidden. They didn’t seem to mind being caught in what was, to my eyes, something of a state of undress. And they had a point: after all, did we think looking that good was effortless?

All this is a rather long way of saying that, while I came to admire that attitude and their confidence, there is too much of the Midwesterner in me to ever pull it off myself. I’ll never be quite as well-groomed as those stylish Southern ladies, but I’ll never show up at the grocery store in curlers, either. You never know who you might run into—especially in Nashville. Don’t believe me? Check out what Le Peug and I saw at Kroger after picking up some tortillas to make this recipe:

Le Peug gets an introduction to country music

Le Peug has gone country

Since there were no crowds gathering in the store, I’m assuming we didn’t miss seeing Loretta herself (who is working a new album!), but I waved just in case she was waiting on the bus.

Tagged , , , ,

9 thoughts on ““You’re the Reason Our Kids Are Ugly”

1. Allison says:

I bet she was in her curlers!!! LOL.

2. Allison says:

Oh, and, lemme know how that recipe turns out!

3. inkstainedlife says:

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand that made me laugh out loud.

4. micro1985 says:

hello.
    I arrived by a search.Please watch my blog.

I am glad if connected at this opportunity.In addition, I come to look.
    thankyou

5. 2whls3spds says:

I have yet to fathom the curlers in the hair in public. My bride is a Southern Belle (think Delta Burke without the ego) She would not be caught dead outside of the house in anything other than full makeup and hair properly done. She cannot stand the curlers in the hair in public. I sometimes wonder if it is a class thing? FWIW she also has a couple of friends that feel the same way, also Southern born and bred, and come from what I would consider to be upper class families. (I know, I know not PC ;>D )

Aaron

6. dottie says:

Love Loretta Lynn! I’m with you. Even putting on lipstick in the ladies’ room makes me uncomfortable if there are other people around. On the other hand, I don’t do myself up, so coiffing is not a big deal.

7. Jon Grinder says:

Another Southern grocery store fashion tradition; fuzzy house slippers.

8. susancyclist says:

The reason so many famous people live in this area is that no body bothers them or appears to pay attention. Even when we are all breathless at seeing them. We learned to do the same thing with curlers.

9. Ashley says:

When we were little we used to go to Kmart and Loves Grocery store on the weekends. Not only did you see the women in curlers, but also there was usually a cigarette in the mouth. That seems crazy to me now, but I remember it well. And unfortunately for the kids, the no shoe stereotype was often true. Mom would never let us go without shoes – HOOKWORM! That was her biggest fear;)

Love Loretta Lynn. I just know she saw you waving:)