Something in the Works

Dotzilla

Dotzilla

Yesterday I rode down to Hyde Park on the south side to TATI Cycles. The meeting was awesome and I have something in the works with him now, one way or another. Still waiting on more details, but I’m very excited. Much closer to my new bike than I was a day ago!

Riding down the south side of the Lakefront Trail was a treat. Deserted and very “back to nature” compared to the north side, with its tacky tiki bars and beach volleyball in the summer. I was on the lookout for the Obamas (or, really, the Secret Service) since they were in Chicago for the weekend, but no such luck. Probably too cold.

The ride home was not as enjoyable, with a killer headwind. Going about 5 miles an hour on my heavy Oma with my thighs burning is not my idea of fun – this is why I need a second bike!! Oma is not made for 30 mile jaunts in 30 mph wind gusts. Is the wind this bad in other cities? I know I am in the Windy City and riding parallel to Lake Michigan but, man, these winter winds are a terror.

Anyway, wish me luck with my bike project! Hopefully I’ll have a new bike by early March!!

Tagged , , , ,

10 thoughts on “Something in the Works

1. Trisha says:

We had a few days here with 20-30 mph winds. Cycling was NOT fun, I agree…and my bike weighs a bit less than 50 pounds. So excited about your new bike! Also, your helmet looks great. ;)

2. Lynn says:

I can’t wait to see what you’ll choose! Great photo of you with the skyline in the background.

3. Julian says:

Not sure if I’m too late, but came across a LOVELY mixte design here from Frances Cycles that might inspire your current project:

Emily's Mixte

also on his current home page:

have fun!

4. I was looking forward to hearing how your mini-tour went on Oma. Thirty miles is an impressive jaunt. Alas, headwinds are everywhere. But you are smart to take them as a signs from the gods that you need another bicycle.

I can’t wait to learn more about whatever it you’ve got brewing with the folks at Tati Cycles.

5. tsalyards says:

I hate to say it, but I think a heavy bike is actually better in the wind. A light bike will just get blown around whereas a heavy one won’t. Back in Germany we rode all year including the winter with extremely strong winds from the North Sea blowing horizontal sleet and rain. Wind just sucks no matter what bike you’re on.

6. E A says:

Oooh… exciting! Really… I so want to know what you chose.

I agree — heavy bike = better in winds. Light frames could get blown out from under you. Not good. I tend to stick to the streets (buffered by the buildings) during the windiest days especially. I don’t have a desire to be blown into the lake… nice as it is. ;-)

Have you heard of the Ride of Silence? Planning is underway for the Chicago ride now – Monday evenings at REI. Hope you can join us.

7. dottie says:

I have to say a not-so-heavy bike is better for strong wind. I’m not talking an 18 lb racing bike, but a 28 lb hybrid or something like that. Winds were never that big a deal with my 28 lb Jamis. Huge difference with my Oma. A lot has to do with the riding position, too. The oma is completely non-aerodynamic and I can’t really use my whole body to help push me along.

E, I have heard of the Ride of Silence. I’ll try to make it on Monday, if it’s not too early. Hard to escape the office.

8. E A says:

RoS meeting starts at 7:30. Hope to see you there.

9. Nice pic. Looks like you rode almost to Indiana. :)

As for heavy wind riding. While I don’t look forward to it, riding in heavy winds has strengthened my legs. I try and put in a lower gear and just keep peddling. As I my legs get stronger, I’m find that I have that extra umph when I need it.

I get in trouble when I try to hurry too much. The wind is just showing me who’s boss.

10. [...] annoying bike shop guys. I toured Chicago’s bike shops. At one point I thought I had something on the horizon, but that did not work out. After (almost too) much thought, I’ve decided that [...]