Ménage à Trois

I have a confession to make: I’m not sure one bike, even one as lovely as the Batavus, is enough for me. I used to think bikes were like men — you find the one for you, and that’s it (or so they say). Now I know that they are more like shoes, or maybe coats: there’s the right choice for every occasion. One day you’re feeling sporty; the next, you might want to haul groceries home. And what if someone comes to visit and needs to borrow a bike? It doesn’t help that they’re all so beautiful in different ways.

This is the long way of telling you that I’m cheating on the Batavus before he’s even made it home (such a vixen). But it wasn’t my fault! Had Pinkie not been taken from me, I promise I never even would have looked at another bike — or at least, not with my wallet in hand. However, among the many kind comments on the entry about her theft was one from Jon at Grinder Bikes, who offered to lend me something to ride until May. I clicked on over to his site and noticed he’d rebuilt many lovely bikes out in Denver. I’d fallen for a few vintage bikes during my bike search, but they were always too large for me. Maybe he had something suitable? Maybe he has a mixte, whispered the devil on my shoulder. So I asked the question.

Not only did he have a mixte frame, but it was white (I love white bikes) a Peugeot (have yet to find anything French that I can resist) and a fantastic deal (ditto). He could build it to fit my specifications. It was vintage. I could have it in my hands by the end of February. It would be a bit lighter than the Batavus and good for hot summer days, not to mention the next two months. I said yes. I might have to buy a case of Ramen, and the next time I fall in love with a coat or pair of shoes I’ll have to pass. I think it’s worth it.

02.16peugeotmixte

Jon managed to find everything I needed for the bike in record time. He finished the bike today and I hope to take my first ride sometime next week. More details about the build are on his blog. Needless to say, this one will be securely locked up every. single. night.

Tagged , , , ,

24 thoughts on “Ménage à Trois

1. msdottie says:

Ha, good comparisons! I’d say they’re like coats. I don’t need as many as shoes (helmets are like shoes) but a different one depending on the weather, style, color boots I’m wearing, and travel plans :)

So happy for you and your vintage Frenchie! Looks fantastic!!!

2. Jason Runyan says:

Your new bike looks awesome Trish. You will need a third to complete the trifecta!

3. Lynn says:

Another gorgeous mixte! Lucky you – it will match everything you wear, too!

4. jhaygood says:

Maybe bikes ARE like men after all, different ones for different uses!

And wow, that Peugeot is super cute. I need to see if that guy has something for me!

5. Anne says:

Very nice. I say, never apologize for having too many bikes (especially if you ride them). Sometimes you do need a different bike for each occasion. Il est super mignon, j’aime beaucoup.

6. That is a nice bike! After many years with only one bike, I’m finding 3 to be a pleasure.

7. oh god, i used to think the same thing too. just one perfect vintage bike. but what if that gets stolen? so i ought to buy a beater bike i can ride everywhere to avoid mussing my pretty, perfect vintage bike. but there are so many styles of vintage bikes! see where i’m going?

so i’ve decided to draft a plan!:
    1 vintage step-through bike (check!) (probably re-sell to afford the raleigh)
    1 vintage step-through raleigh bike (currently searching)
    1 step through commuter singlespeed bike (currently searching)

hey, maybe one day i’ll get a proper diamond frame bike just to balance out my womenly bikes.

i say get as many bikes as you can afford a car. seriously, i’d prefer 100 bikes to one stinkin lousy car!

8. 2whls3spds says:

The perfect number of bikes is N=1 where N is the number of bikes currently owned. I have been accused of being the Brigham Young of cycling ;>) I ONLY have 20 usable bikes, with one being a tandem shared with my bride and at least 3 more that belong to her. Each one has it’s story and they all get ridden. Funny part is all of them together cost less than a couple of months of car payments. 8-0

Aaron

9. 2whls3spds says:

Messed up the formula…good thing I am not a math major! It should be N+1….

Aaron

10. Trisha says:

Whew, so good to know I am not alone. Aaron, if the n+1 theory does prove true, I’ll have to suffer through it, since my bike budget for the year has been exhausted. ;)

Jason, three is a powerful number but I am saving a spot in my trifecta for Pinkie should she ever return. And whitewash and jhaygood, you should definitely shoot Jon an email if you are looking for a new (old) bike at a good price. I happen to know he also has a blue Raleigh mixte waiting for the right home. Anne et Lynn, merci, je le trouve très joli aussi.

11. Charlotte says:

Really? A blue Raleigh mixte? My sister in Boulder is looking for a blue bike….

12. Elisa says:

I am feeling major bike envy! I literally dream of my second bike…and maybe I should email Jon, as I have issues finding step through bikes made for a tall woman.
    Can’t wait to see the new bike in person. You will have to let us know what her (or his) name ends up being!

13. Wicked cool bike, Trisha, and I’m digging how and where you went about acquiring it.

Recently, I was worried that I had too many bikes (viz., three: an all-purpose commuter, a lighter and faster road bike for long rides, and an old Schwinn both for a project and for something funky to ride easy on pretty days). I thought to myself, it’s OK, so long as each has its purpose and I promise to ride them regularly and evenly. Now, after reading your post, Dottie’s post, and all these comments, I’m thinking, screw it! I can’t wait to get another one! We still space to store them (or hide them, as the case may be), and coming up with reasons to justify the new additions is about as easy and natural as pedaling.

14. Jennie says:

I like the new bike Trish!

15. Kate says:

I just got my second bike. I love it. LOVE it. And both bikes are being ridden. I mean, come on. We have complex bicycling and fashion needs, right? Right?

Congrats on your new rides!

16. Trisha says:

Charlotte, your sister should shoot Jon an email. The Raleigh frame is really nice, too.

Elisa, I feel your pain (in the opposite way!): don’t you envy those 5’5 girls who can ride anything? :) I have been thinking of names ever since seeing the pics of the finished bike. Got any suggestions?

Scribe, you made that Schwinn look great and shouldn’t stop at only one rebuild. Space is an issue for me, too; hopefully that will keep my bike lust in check.

Thanks Jen! You will have to come up here and go on a ride with me once I have two bikes.

And Kate, you may have come up with the best multi-bike rationalization yet: complex bicycling and fashion NEEDS. I love it!! What kind of bikes do you have?

17. jhaygood says:

Wow, popular topic! I ride a Bridgestone MB-1 most of the time that I got back in ’92. I’ve put good commuter road tires on it and that bike really flies and gets me around town, and also does daily bike trailer towing duties. After the last few weeks here in LA though, I definitely looking for fenders! Messy. Just trying to figure out what to get online, which is tricky. So many choices!

I’m thinking of doing an overhaul on that bike – repaint the frame, add nice fenders, some kind of new rack (the old one is for a child seat and doesn’t seem to be deep enough to allow panniers to clear my size 11s. Wish I could add a chainguard over the triple ring in front…

I’m tempted to get something through Grinder but I kind of want to do it myself. I might pull it off, or I’ll end up going into my LBS with a frame and a box of parts pleading for mercy.

I also have a Fuji super road bike. Very fun to ride for those long-distance rides, but I spend most of my time commuting, so the functional Bridgestone gets the most use. My wish is to also have a nice upright, classy “date bike” (of the Amsterdam variety). It’s the one that’s harder to justify, so the cleaned up Bridgestone may have to do for the time being.

But I can dream…

18. Nico says:

That’s a terrific bike! You would be one of the queens of the road around here. :)
    To be honest, I have also been thinking about a second bike during the last weeks. A second bike would come in handy if the first bike failed unexpectedly (as happened today: flat tire in the morning).

19. Oops! I meant we still HAVE space. Not only is there the basement and garage, but my wife is kind enough (so far) to let me stash bikes in the dining room, living room, etc. from time to time, you know, so they don’t get cold or feel lonely. Now, we won’t always have this kind of space, because we’ll be downsizing when we move, but I’m sure the kids won’t mind if I stash a bike or two in their rooms. And then there’s always the office, too.

20. Allison says:

So, what is mixte?! ;) Ignorant non-biker here! I like it thought!!!

21. Trisha says:

Thanks Nico. A second bike will be useful for those reasons, too. You’re right, it’s a totally practical decision!

Scribe, now I’m jealous of your space and accommodating family. :)

jhaygood, I hereby justify your desire for an upright bike. They’re such a nice option, and unless you’re going to the pier or something you don’t have a lot of hills in Santa Monica, right?

And Ali, a mixte is a frame style — it has three rear stays instead of the usual two, which makes it a little more stable, and they’re usually smaller bikes. (This is probably not a complete explanation…)

22. Doohickie says:

I know the feeling of having the right bike for every occasion.

23. Filigree says:

It is good to know that I am not alone in my multiple bike cravings! I was beginning to feel velo-promiscuous and was ashamed to look my Pashley int he eyes!

24. Dominique says:

This post is a little old now, but I have the exact same bike!!