Batavus Countdown

Coming soon to a blog near you

Coming soon to a blog near you

Now that Pinkie is gone, I’m counting the days until I get my new Batavus even more closely than I was before. (Looked for a little countdown ticker to put in the sidebar, but they all seemed to be for weddings and pregnancies.**) Here’s the current breakdown:

63 days until I ride my Batavus for the first time.

80 days until the Batavus arrives in the US, courtesy of my parents and United Airlines (fingers crossed — the “United Airlines” portion of this itinerary makes me very nervous).

85 days until I can get to Alabama to pick him up.

63 days doesn’t sound so bad, but 85 seems like a loooong time. Sigh. Reading this interview with Batavus’ export manager Ralph Prins made me even more eager to get my new bike. I knew Batavus made quality bikes, but I had no idea that they were such a green company (water-based paints, water-treatment facility on site, and a factory powered by wind/water/solar energy). Makes me feel good to be giving them so much of my hard-earned money.

I was also intrigued by the mention of two new bikes designed specifically for the US market. Would I regret jumping at the Entrada? Here are a couple of screen caps from Batavus’ 2009 catalog, which I found on the Fourth Floor website:

Batavus Fryslan

Batavus Fryslan

Batavus Breukelen

Batavus Breukelen

Survey says…nope. While they’re both beautiful bikes, and the Breukelen has specs similar to my Entrada Spirit (possibly why that model is left out of the catalog?), my bike was a much better deal, and I like the cheerful blue color. Plus, the experience of riding it in England is going to be half the fun!

As for those 85 days, I am working on something to tide me over. More details TK. Anyone else have experience with Batavus bikes?

**ETA: Thanks to Jen for unearthing a bike-related countdown ticker, which is currently gracing the sidebar. :)

Tagged , ,

20 thoughts on “Batavus Countdown

1. Nico says:

So far I have made about 20 trips to the Netherlands in my life. The bikes we rented there (Batavus and Gazelle) have always run smoothly. But personally I would always prefer a Gazelle bike since Batavus has become just another brand of the Accell Group and I reject any kind of cartelization.
    Nice bike, anyway. 85 days may seem like a long time, but remember: It’s always good to have something to look forward to. :)

2. Trisha says:

You’re absolutely right, Nico, and I think this will be worth waiting for.

I researched Gazelle bikes and really liked the Aristo, but it was harder to track down than Batavus (which makes sense if they’re independent) and more expensive to boot. But I’ll put it down to try one when I’m in the Netherlands — I’d love to take a cycling trip there one day.

3. Jason Runyan says:

Trish, the bike looks sweet! The 85 days will be gone before you know it.

4. Eric says:

We have indeed replaced the Entrada with the Breukelen. The production cost is actually more or less the same, but the exchange rate is the culprit. I love the Entrada, I love the delft blue, but many people wanted something a little more, well, black, so viola – the Breukelen. We’re quite proud of it. All that being said, enjoy the Entrada, it is a fantastic bike!

• Trisha says:

Thanks, Eric! I figured it was the exchange rate, and the import taxes and such. My Batavus was bought during an end-of-year clearance, so that helped with the price even more.

5. Elisa says:

That bike is so cute and (dare I say…) sexy! I am definitely feeling some Velo envy.
    but I do miss Pinkie still…

6. Jennie says:

Love the bike Trish! What’s the new nickname?

7. Jennie says:

Ha! Nice Runyan. Maybe you will get inspiration in the UK for a new name?
    Oh! You could have an online pool for the best one! And I will try to find you a countdown that is not baby or wedding related ;)

8. Trisha says:

Jen & Jason, I have a few ideas but won’t know for sure until I meet him…if I absolutely cannot decide, you will see a poll. :)

9. Jason Runyan says:

How do you know it’s a him? You won’t know until you straddle it.

10. 60-80 days waiting will be a character builder. Patience.

11. msdottie says:

I am a little more excited about that day because we’ll be in London, but yes, your Batavus is very exciting, too! ;)

12. That is a gorgeous bike. You’re all making me want one of those European-style rides so badly! Now, since I’m not in a position to go buy one at the moment, I gotta’ get me one of those nifty counters instead.

13. Allison says:

What color are you getting? What are you using in the meantime?

14. I have a Batavus Socorro and I LOVE IT!!!!!!!! It has a step through frame which is just what I wanted. The only issue I have had is getting replacement,proprietary parts for it because the only N. American distributor is in Canada and Batavus does not like to deal with individuals.

My particular bike is called ‘The Bat’ short for ‘Batmobile’.

15. Trisha says:

Adrienne, your bike is gorgeous! looks like you get a ton of use out of it, too — so impressed by the cargo trailers.
    Ali, I’m getting the blue — and in the meantime, I am looking for a vintage bike that I am almost as excited about!
    Scribe, if you decide you want a Batavus, I recommend saving up and waiting for next year’s end-of-year clearance at Littlehampton Cycles. You would have to go over there and get it, though. ;-)

16. Trisha. I use my bike everyday. I rarely drive, anymore. These bikes are designed to be work horses and do things like haul trailers beautifully. They also look damn nice with a good hat and shoes! :)

17. Scott says:

That is a very nice looking modern-style city bike. Ride it in good health!