Have You Seen This Bike?

I’m sad to say that, since yesterday around 6 p.m., I have not.

Pinkie, come home!

Pinkie, come home!

The worst thing about the fact that Pinkie is gone is that if I had used my bike lock regularly, she’d probably still be here. I store my bike in a secluded area next to my condo, under a stairway that can’t be seen from the parking lot several yards away, and pretty much all winter I had left her there unlocked. Stupid, I know, but since she was not especially stylish, expensive or old enough to be vintage her value was mostly sentimental, and the only people who use this stairway are my neighbors and their friends. Bikes are not exactly hot property around Nashville, and they’d be lucky to get $100 for her at a pawnshop or on craigslist, so why would anyone go to the trouble? Or at least that’s what I would say to people when they expressed shock that I didn’t lock her up every single night, until my aunt made me realize how sad I’d be if Pinkie was stolen, even with the Batavus on the way. With the weather turning warmer, I thought it would be a good idea to start locking her up regularly again.

For the past week, I’d gone back to chaining her to the stair railing, but it hadn’t yet become a habit and last night I was running late to meet friends and forgot to lock her up after our trip to Kroger. When I got home at 1 a.m., she wasn’t under the stairs waiting for me. I have been sick about it ever since.

It’s disturbing to think that someone low enough to steal a bike was prowling around in front of my house sometime Saturday night. But it’s even worse to think that I just gave something I’ve had since I was 10 away to someone like that. Especially given the economy, I suppose $100 would be worth the risk for someone. I am so embarrassed and angry with myself for having been so careless and naive, especially after Dottie’s break in, but I am admitting this mistake so that someone else won’t make the same one. I know I won’t.

24 thoughts on “Have You Seen This Bike?

1. allison says:

Oh no Trisha!!!! I’m so sorry!

2. Jason Runyan says:

Sorry to hear about your loss Trish. Does this mean we are going to get car reports from you instead?

3. msdottie says:

This makes me so sad and mad, especially since you’ve had Pinkie for so long. I’m so sorry for your loss. I know how much it sucks :(

4. Ghost Rider says:

OH, NO!!! That’s terrible news! Come home, Pinkie….

Bike thieves, when caught, should be strung up from the nearest light pole. There’s nothing like the psychic “kick in the crotch” than finding out your bicycle was stolen…

I’ll say a prayer that Pinkie is returned safely to you.

5. jhaygood says:

Bastard people! That really, really sucks.

But maybe, just maybe, with a Batavus coming, Pinkie maybe RAN away?

I’m just sayin’. Bikes may just be metal and rubber, but they do have feelings…

6. Tinker says:

In the old west, people who stole (or attempted to steal) horses could be shot on the spot, by the owner of the horse, it being assumed that the owner needed it to live, and the thief didn’t. I think bicycles need to be accorded the same respect.

Or you could simply hang the SOB.

7. Nico says:

Oh no! That is the second theft on this blog, right? I feel sorry for you. Please start locking your bikes properly and always.

8. Trisha says:

Thanks, everyone. I feel the same way about bike thieves! And yes, this is the second theft, though Dottie’s bikes were locked in a locked garage in the dead of winter. Chicago bike thieves are a different breed for sure. Jhaygood, I would prefer the runaway theory but I’m pretty sure Pinkie knew I wanted her to stick around anyway. :) And Jason, my friend with the Dahon has offered to let me borrow it again, so I’ll be able to bicycle commute, though I do plan to write a post about my car one day! Still have a little speck of hope that Pinkie is distinctive enough to be found. I’ve offered a $50 reward on craigslist and will put a few flyers around my condo complex today — someone may have seen her being taken, who knows?

9. Amy says:

I’m so sorry to hear about that Trish. I hope she comes home safely!

10. matt says:

Trisha, make sure you put a post on the Nashville Urban Bicycle League about it so everyone can keep an eye out. We have recovered bikes that way before.

11. Ashley says:

Oh no, not Pinkie! I’m so sorry, Trish. I had no idea:( That’s really awful.

12. the village scribe says:

Chiming in late with nothing more to say than what’s already been said, but I’m so wicked sorry that you and your bike were involuntarily parted. What a crappy way to start the week. Here’s hoping it won’t be long before we read a fantastic story of your reunion here on the blog.

13. John says:

I don’t know about back there, but in Sacramento most stolen end up on Craigslist. You might want to keep your eyes out.

That sucks!

14. Jennie says:

So sorry Trish! It does take a complete lowlife to do something about that! Hopefully putting signs up in your condo complex will guilt some people into just putting it back :(

15. Johnny says:

I’m very sorry to hear about Pinkie.
    It’s extra terrible when you suspect that it’s one of your neighbors. I had a bike stolen from my building back in 2006, and I almost wanted to move:(

16. Sorry Trish, I feel your pain. I had my sweet 1940′s vintage bicycle stolen in the early fall. I walked instead, used public transportation and went on more car trips than I really wanted to. It took until Xmas to get gifted a new vintage bicycle. Glad you have a new bicycle on the way! Still hold hope, maybe you’ll get Pinkie back as well.

17. tsalyards says:

So sorry to hear about the theft. Still, sounds like a great excuse to pick up a shiny new Oma to match Dottie’s!

My little sister had her bike stolen from inside her apartment building a couple of years back here in Mpls. One day while walking home she spotted it locked to a sign post only one block from her appartment. Somebody in her building likely thieved it and was locking it away from the building to avoid detection. We called the cops, they sent a car over and we “stole” the bike back by disassembling the sign. I bet that ruined that low-life’s day :)

18. Pete says:

I’m very sorry to hear about your bike.

I’ve had five bike stolen in my life, it’s felt like an amputation each time.

Here’s a link to a poem I wrote after bike number four disappeared from behind the house, your story brought it to mind.

Hope your Pinkie comes home

19. Val says:

You’re far from being alone, Trish: http://someonestolemybike.com/ Check out Rachel’s story (“If You Know What’s Good For You”) in particular; you know we’re all hoping for your story to have a similar ending.

20. Trisha says:

Cute stories, Val — thanks. Tsalyards, I think Dottie’s Oma is gorgeous but I have a Batavus Entrada coming and think I want something even lighter for bike #2! Shelly, I am so sorry to hear about your bike! Luckily a friend is loaning me her Dahon, the same one I borrowed earlier in the year, so I can continue to bike commute. Pete, thanks for sharing the poem and I’m so sorry you’ve had this happen five times…

21. Trisha says:

Oh, and Johnny, Jennie, John & Scribe — thanks for your thoughts, too! I immediately posted a BOLO on craigslist. You never know what could happen.

22. Jon says:

How long until the Batavus arrives? I’d be happy to send you a bike to use until then, if you need it.

23. E A says:

Does Nashville have a stolen bike registry like in Chicago? I hear that the stolen bike registry may soon be available for other cities…. If you’re interested, contact the forces behind the Chicago site to see about getting a Nashville site set up: http://chicago.stolenbike.org/about-us

24. susan randolph says:

Trish, how do you like your Oma. Am looking at a Raleigh roadster. did you like it?