What to Wear: Winter Edition

Monday's outfit

I might have to update my portion of the “About Us” page—I’ve finally figured out that it doesn’t matter what you wear to cycle in the winter—as long as you have long underwear underneath. After years in the South I’d kind of forgotten it even existed, but this winter I have gotten my money’s worth out of the Cuddle Duds I bought for a trip to Sweden a few years ago. I added a pair of Marmot midweight pants to my long underwear wardrobe a couple of weeks ago (wearing them in the photo) and plan on scoring some actual wool leggings during the winter sales.

But long underwear is kind of a no-brainer. The biggest surprise is how my knee-high Zara slouch boots with a 1.5-inch heel have become my favorite commuting shoes. They keep my feet and legs warm, feel secure on the pedals and can be worn with just about anything. My coworkers must be tired of seeing them.

I realize you can’t see it, but under the coat I have on the aforementioned long underwear and the Cuddle Duds top, with an aqua sweater dress over it (a present from my aunt Kathy). Yesterday’s morning ride was a not-bad 34 degrees, and when I left in the evening it was 40.

Tagged , , ,

10 thoughts on “What to Wear: Winter Edition

1. Great idea! Show em what you wear. And you can look good doing it. But you are right that long underwear is key. I like that you have your neck covered. That will keep the colds away.

2. Lynn says:

You look mahvellous! Ready to ride the Copenhagen bike lanes – just replace the helmet with a fur hat. I love wearing my tall riding boots on the bike, too. Hope you had gloves!

3. Johnny says:

Longjohns are truly a gift from the cycling gods:)

4. Elisa says:

I feel the same way about my black boots. With those, cuddle duds (or tights and thigh high socks), I can get about anywhere!

5. You’ve nailed it! Great post!

6. Trisha says:

Thanks everyone! Spiderleg, the scarf is an absolute must, I agree. And Lynn, I wear two pairs of gloves once I get outside — made the mistake of going gloveless once and never will again.

7. msdottie says:

You look so chic and warm! Nice!! Sometimes people assume that I ride a motorcycle when they see my black helmet and leather boots. Must be the same with you :)

Also, “cuddle duds” is an adorable name – makes me want to buy some.

8. Ghost Rider says:

I LOVE those boots — chic and really intimidating at the same time!

9. allison says:

You do look chic! I don’t even look that good riding in my warm car. I LOVE your boots!!!

10. … [Trackback]…

[...] Find More Informations here: letsgorideabike.com/blog/2009/02/what-to-wear-winter-edition/ [...]…